GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 12:27:26 +0200
Yus,

Thanks for the respond. Mamadou Diallo had some great seasons here with Lillestrøm, which made him a hero in this town in the outskirts of Oslo. He was devastating when he was in form, powerful and skilfull. He was always in the limelight, and he seemed to enjoy every bit of it. Diallo struck the attention of many top teams in Europe, and the Bundesliga team Duisburg succeeded in getting him over on loan. That was where Diallo`s problems started. He failed to secure a fix place in the line up, and in the end he was not playing at all. Lillestrøm brought him back, and tried to absorb him once again. Prior to this the team had signed a South African goalkeeper. It is such tha in Norwegian football, not more than one player from otside the the EEC are  allowed to play in a game at the same time. The South African goalkeeper was already doing his job well. When Diallo came back, he was in bad shape, had put on some weight, and yes he was nursing a cronic injury. But the fans loved him, and gradually he was absorbed in the team again. He started playing, and the South African was left out. Diallo failed to revive his scoring machinery, and Lillestrøm started losing. Consequently, he wa sidelined, and the South African reinstated. Diallo got grumpy, and he wanted to leave. This time Vålerenga was struggling against relegation, and they got him on loan. His stars started shinning again, and he almost single handedly saved Våleranga from relegation. The crucial encounter was against his fromer team Lillestrøm, and lady luck really smiled to Diallo that day. They had to win and two beautiful Diallo goals ,and one assist made the day for them. He got into a row with his former team, because when he scored against them, he ran to their fans and celeberated his goal. Lillestrøm interpreted that as a mockery, and Diallo said that was a sign of showing affection to fans who loved him. Now he finished doing his work at Vålerenga and they survived, but they were hesitant in further renewing his contract and Lillestrøm showed no interest either.  Diallo loves to play, but being without a team he was gradually dwindling in skills. He had gone home to Senegal, and this time they were preparing for the African Nations cup. He failed to make the team. Some weeks ago he was back to Norway, and still none of the two teams showed any sign of interest. That was the time Tampa Bay got into the picture.

Yus, Diallo is an interesting and flamboyant player, and when he gets to settle down in MLS, he will be a sight to watch. He had spiced up the game here with his dances . And he loves his "ndaga". We`ll miss him badly, especially at the naming ceremonies and cultural activities.

Regards,
Omar.