GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 22:09:51 -0700
Hi folks,

I'm writing this one in a real hurry, because I've got a lot of things to get to.  I just wanted to say that I've been seeing some of the complaints about the new configuration of Gambia-L, requiring that all postings be confirmed before they are distributed.  I realize that we have different facilities, and means of accessing the Internet, and hence, are not all equally capable of doing even the most simple of things.  I sympathize with all those who are having problems confirming their postings, are now at about their wits end.  Please bear with us, and accept my apologies for all the inconveniences you are suffering.

To remind you, the main reason for requiring confirmations of postings is the recent problem we had with someone impersonating Tombong Saidy.  Because of that incident, the only way we can avoid people casting doubt on Gambia-L postings and discussions on the list, is to make sure that each distributed posting is confirmed by the person it says it's from.  Please remember that in the absence of a confirmation system, we really CANNOT prove that each posting on Gambia-L is validated.  A number of people have sent in postings about how easy it is to forge e-mail addresses, about how the role of IP Numbers in all this, and all that.  Let me repeat that while it is easy to forge an e-mail's origin, I have explained why our system of confirming postings cannot be affected by anyone forging an e-mail's origin.  Also, I would like to say that the talk about IP numbers just complicates things a little, for no reason.  In short, all talk I've heard so far about IP numbers don't apply to our situation, at least as it exists presently.

I have heard some subscribers complain about the fact that the confirmation messages means that it is costing them more to send their postings in.  That's a genuine concern, and I will definitely look into alternative methods of ensuring authenticity, without imposing additional financial burdens on subscribers.  Be sure that I will work on this in the next few days, and try to get the issue resolved by next Monday.  I will be contacting the list managers about this, and other issues, and try to work out the best solution for most of our subscribers.

That's about all that comes to my mind so far.  Again, please bear with us, and do contact me directly at [log in to unmask] or list managers at [log in to unmask] Thanks, and best wishes.

Katim