GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 14:54:44 EST
Kabir,

I would not have responded to you, not because I lack the ability to
challenge your response point by point ( and i know you know this) but  for
many other reasons, including urgings from some people on the L , but I see
that you are continuing to try to put words in my mouth.

For starters, about a little over a month ago, you wrote me a series of
personal emails discussing something of a very personal nature, and there are
three or maybe even four people on this list who know about this.

 I wonder why you took it upon yourself to do that if , according to you, you
have decifered from my writings on the L that I am a religious bigot,  a
CNN/Newsweek traumatized dishonest person who got a one way ticket on Pan Am
or something to that effect, while you are still living  in Norway. So much
for contradictions.

Let me simplify this, so that things are not weaved about deliberately to
create confusion as you are trying to do.

I did not call you anti Islamic because you spoke of Arab racism. That would
be inconsistent with my natural inclination to speak out against racism and
injustice, and my record here on the L should have made you think twice
before making this accusation if you were thinking clearly. You keep
insisting that I am defending Arab racism, and that does not even make any
sense. Do you really believe this?

I wrote a response to your commentry regarding the beating of Black Africans
in Libya, and stated that Moammar Khaddafi should bear some responsibility
for that since he has been promoting himself as a champion of African
liberation, and yet, here were his countrymen engaging in a display of
ignorance and bogotry. That is what set you off on a rampage to try to
discredit me, but there must have been the inclination there already  for
some other reason i do not know.

You say you stand among those of us who hold Jammeh responsible for spreading
ignorance, and yet, you are trying to tell us that Khaddafi should not be
held responsible for the atrocities against Black people in the country of
this champion of oppressed Africans? How can you possible justify that?
Instead, you wanted people to believe that the responsibility lay with  Arab
racism, period. How simplistic is that? What about racism towards Black
people from other enhnic groups which i see you have added as an
afterthought? I wonder why you just chose Arab racism as the culprit of this
incident, and my comments as religious bias; if not for your natural
inclination to lump Islam with Arabs, and any commentary from me as an excuse
to launch your anti-islamic rhetoric.

Your response was that there are some of us whose religious bias has led us
not to condemn Arab racism. Where that logic came from, especially in view of
the very clear position against human rights violations of any sort I
proclaim here every day, is beyond my imagination.

My response to this baseless accusation was that indeed, there is Arab
racism, and gave an example that even the Prophet of Allah (SAS) spent a
great deal of his time speaking out against Arab racism, that Islam is
incompatible with racism.His last famous speech at the Hajj is testimony to
the fact that  racism has no place in Islam.

I further alluded to the fact that if one is knowledgeable about islam, there
is no way one could accuse anyone who professes to be a good muslim of
failing to acknowledge racism or any form of injustice by Arabs or anyone
else.
I explained that care should be taken not to identify Islam with Arabs,
because Muhammed was a Prophet sent to all mankind. I said all this, so that
you can see how your allegation that religious bias prevents me from
condemning Arab racism is unfounded. However, you can only understand this if
you knew these very basic facts about Islam.

Therefore, you brought religion into this discussion by making the allegation
that religious bias prevents me from acknowledging Arab racism, which is a
ridiculous accusation and shows your lack of knowledge about Islam, and the
reason for my saying this is pretty clear. The most basic tenet of  Islam is
to enjoin truth, and if you understood this, as well as knew what some of the
Prophet Muhammed's mission and challenges were, you would not have made the
accusation, even though you profess to be a muslim.

 Consequently, it can only be concluded that you use every occasion, no
matter what the topic, to attack islam and the fact that I do make every
effort to share what i know about this religion with others, and this has
been consistent with all your reactions whenever the topic arises.  Yes, I do
share knowledge about islam, but when and where have i tried to force anyone
to join me in my belief, or denounced anyone else's religion, such that you
can take it upon yourself to label me a religious bigot?

During the debate regarding the Ahmadiyyans and Imam Fatty, I pointed out
that it is true that Ahmadiyya are considered a deviant sect according to the
teachings of mainstream islam. That is not a declaration that they should be
run out of town, nor does it mean that I condoned any scheme that was being
attempted by Jammeh and his cohorts to run these people out of town.Show me
where i made a statement to that effect.
Cautioning people about deviation from the teachings of Islam is something
that is the responsibility of all muslims. It is too bad that Imam Fatty's
intention was not just to warn muslims about the tenets of Islam, but why is
it that I cannot point out this fact about deviance from the religion without
supporting any agenda attached to it?
Only someone bent on creating the wrong impression will try to make this
implication. What in heavens name would I or anyone gain by driving
Ahmadiyyans out of Gambia or anywhere else for that matter. Islam teaches
that a true test of faith is that one is able to be consistent in your belief
even if everyone else around you believes in and practices  something else.
Islamic nations around the World live with and benefit from the work of non
muslims in their countries, and if the directive was to be intolerent and
kick everybody out, there would be no non muslims in Arabia or other Islamic
countries.Let us think like reasonable people, instead of trying to twist
other people's words to support our allegations.

Muslims everywhere know that we should caution our fellow muslims about
straying from the teachings of the Qur'an, and that it is our duty and
responsibility to remind our fellow muslims about this. I merely pointed out
what the mainstream belief was, and nowhere else did i add that i supported
the scheme to run them out of Gambia. Your response to this was that the
Ahmadiyya have done a lot of good work in our country, and my response was
that so have the colonialists, but it did not prevent us from demanding our
independence. No one asked our former colonialists to pack up and leave after
independence just because we disagreed with thier policies and plans for us
as a people.

 I guess in your simplistic view, you took this to mean that i was declaring
my support for the scheme to run Ahmadiyya out of Gambia, and that is a
stupid preposition that can only be deduced by you because you are looking
for something to support your unfounded allegations against me.
Let us be very clear about that, and not use it as an excuse to label me as
an extremist.
I think it is time for alarmists such as yourself to put a stop to this
outcry of “our country is a non-secular country”. This fact is known even to
the elementary school children in our country.   We as Gambians all know that
we are comprised of Muslims, Christians and even idol worshippers, and that
each group has been free to practice what they want to practice as far back
as we can remember, and that  our different religious persuasions have never
been an issue with us, nor has it ever affected how we interact with each
other, or live harmoniously with each other.

The topic of religion has only become an issue with the advent of the Jammeh
Government, and what else has not become an issue and a problem with this
oppressive regime? They have turned everything into a tool to help them to
hold onto power, and those who do not recognize this for what it is are not
thinking clearly, and can therefore sow seeds of disharmony by their
insistence that there are potential problems where there aren’t any.
Our children exercising their rights to free expression has been turned into
a problem. Journalists reporting the facts has become a problem. Ordinary
people exercising their God given right to free expression of their opinion
and political associations have become a problem. Civil servants having the
ability to go to work unhassled has become a problem. Even taking for granted
that one can safely go to bed at night and sleep soundly is not a certainty
anymore in our country.Likewise, religion, like anything else, is being used
as a tool of oppression and disharmony, and those who jump on this bandwagon
are adding fuel to the fire.

They need to remember that all peace loving Gambians are working towards, and
hoping and praying that when we get rid of this oppressive regime, we can go
back to the place we were before in terms of our dealings with each other,
and that there has never been, nor do we anticipate any disharmony due to
religious differences.

We have never had a problem with non-secularism, so those who use every
occasion to try to convince us that some of us who dare to promote a
religious message are extremists who are out to turn our country into an
Islamic state, and that they are the guardians to avert such a thing are
reminiscent of the legend of Don Quixote de la Mancha, who was convinced that
he was rescuing  fair maidens in distress from dragons, when all his wild and
dangerous imagination led him to was the concoction of an imaginary danger
which left him charging at windmills much to his own doom.

This cheap and  empty methodology to self promote at the expense of others,
to give the impression to be everything to everyone must cease. i am of the
belief that inherent in every human being is the knowledge of right and
wrong, good and evil, and that we make the wrong choices in any given
situation only because we fail to listen to this inner knowledge, that we do
it because we are driven by self interest. It is a suppression of this inner
conscience that enables dictators to murder people in cold blood so they can
stay where they are, and it is the same that enables our fellow countrymen
and women to collaborate  with the Jammeh regime in cold blooded murder
because they want to remain in the positions they are in.  I believe that
what we need in Gambia as well as everywhere else, are people whose actions
are dirven by this inherent inner knowledge of what is right. if we have
leaders like that, and if we the people are driven by that, then we will
never have a need to fear that anyone will be a victim of any sort.We have
always had that in Gambia, despite the fact that religious leaders have been
doing their duty of cautioning people about what is acceptable in their
respective religious and what is not, and i am not talking about religious
leaders with truth mixed in with an agenda of their own, for those so
inclined to twist my words to suit their own purposes.

Jabou Joh