GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 14:45:25 -0400
A perusal of Gambian newspapers today reinforces my belief that the current
Opposition should co-opt former politicians (PPP, NCP, GPP) to campaign
against Yaya come October 2001. There is an interesting article on the Point
Newspaper featuring OJ (Jallow). Other stories on the Observer also bear
some relevance to this topic. For instance, there are reports that Nyamasata
Sanneh was part of an entourage that 'donated' Yaya 36 UDP supporters on
Yaya's birthday. Ridiculous story, but it has wider implications.

APRC are using all the means at their disposal (including ex-PPP stalwarts,
GRTS, Central Bank, Social Security, Gamtel, Ports, Chiefs throughout the
country etc.) to steal the October elections. It is incumbent upon the
Opposition to also utilize all the weapons in its arsenal to ensure that
APRC does not steal the election.

I was encouraged by reports that stated that Waa  Juwara attacked GRTS for
the Lies and biased 'news' that dubious outfit reports. It is important that
we strike the iron while it is hot. The APRC propaganda must be met head on.
Let us get into the gutter with them. Let us be prepared to meet fire with
fire. Let us inform Gabriel Roberts and other APRC cronies that when they
steal the elections, it is their lives they are putting on the line. Let us
want this victory more than the vermin.

As I said before, I think the Opposition will be making a serious mistake if
it distances itself from the former establishment (mainly PPP). I know that
there are people in the Opposition that firmly believe that PPP, NCP and GPP
people should not be invited into the Coalition. Those people might have
genuine reasons for holding that view. Some have been victims of the former
establishment and have genuine grievances against the former politicians. I
understand that. I myself was a victim of the former regime. But should I
duel on MY plight and forget about the plight of the Gambian PEOPLE? It is
high time some of us get over some of the wrongs of the PPP regime and focus
of the current evil we have in our society. This is no longer about the job
Mr. Fatty lost during the PPP regime. This is about the slaughter of
innocent and defenseless children in broad daylight. This is about the
farmer in Kiang that will wait for two months to see a fifty dalasi note.
This is about a diabolical moron holding our country hostage.

Besides, no one is suggesting here that people forget (altogether) the ills
of the former regime. What we are trying to say is that we should be able to
get over some of the issues we had with the former establishment, in the
interest of the common good. Some people are capable of changing. If they
engage in some evil, realize their errors, turn around and repent, we should
have the capacity to forgive them and accommodate them somewhat. We should
definitely accommodate them if they do all the above (sin and repent) and
then express a desire to help the Opposition defeat Yaya.

We should encourage the former politicians to defy Decree 89 and support the
Opposition. For instance, what is stopping a United Opposition from
appointing OJ their 'Chief Mobilizer' in Serrekunda? The Opposition should
be courageous enough not to run away from the PPP record. OJ should be
selfless enough to campaign for an Opposition candidate other than himself.
The Opposition by distancing itself from the PPP just reminded me about the
ill-advised decision of Al Gore, Jr. to distance himself from Bill Clinton
during last year's presidential campaign. Gore's aloofness towards Clinton
and the Clinton Record might have cost him the election. Let us not buy the
APRC propaganda and paint all ex-politicians as corrupt and inept people. We
have a lot to gain from these politicians. APRC is taking full advantage of
some of the shameless ex-politicians.

The politicians from the old establishment are closer to the Opposition than
they are to APRC. All the honest ones will express the same sentiments OJ
stated in the Point Newspaper. Even Buba Baldeh knows that the AFPRC/APRC
government is far more corrupt than PPP. Whether Baldeh and others will say
so, is another matter. I believe it is the duty of the current Opposition to
reach out to these ex-politicians and identify with them on the issues they
share in common. It is the duty of these former politicians to agree to help
the current Opposition without asking for a quid pro quo. The former
politicians must recognize their sins. That is the only way they can repent
effectively. Recognizing these sins means taking a back seat in certain
instances. These politicians should take a cue from Buba Baldeh and Nafa
Saho and realize that it is imprudent for them to demand to stand in
upcoming elections before they can support the Opposition. Unlike Baldeh and
Nafa Saho (who would support APRC because of a Pajero or a job) people like
Sherrif Dibba and OJ should come out and vigorously campaign for the
Opposition without asking for a quid pro quo (except perhaps for the
repealing Decree 89 after the elections). It is the duty of ex-PPP
politicians to help us get rid of Yaya. Only misguided vermin like Buba
Baldeh would go support criminals that stole power from them. PPP, NCP and
GPP stalwarts both inside and outside The Gambia should put hands on deck
and support the effort to remove Yaya.

On a different topic, I also wish to point out something else I saw on
Gambian newspapers. Yesterday I pleaded with Gambians to make the whole
country as inhospitable as Washington, DC was made for Joseph Joof over the
weekend and New York was made for Yaya last year. Little did I knew that
certain Gambians were definitely making certain forums in the country very
inhospitable for the vermin. It is not in every forum that the APRC cronies
go to peddle their garbage. I was glad to read that one APRC crony also RAN
AWAY from a conference organized by some of the Human Rights  Activists in
the country that wanted to discuss the upcoming elections; among other
things. The APRC coward said that he will not participate in the conference
because some journalists were present and he does not like talking to
journalists. So, we now realize that Joseph Joof is not in lonely company.
As Sanusi pointed out, Pap Cheyassin Secka RAN AWAY from the people after
disclosing that criminals will not be punished for the Massacre of our
children. Joseph Joof RAN AWAY upon realizing that people were going to ask
him tough questions. The mental midget also RAN AWAY from the Human Rights
conference because he realized that press men were going to report his
utterances. According to the papers, no amount of convincing from Emmanuel
Joof and Muhammed Sillah would make the APRC mental midget muster enough
courage to participate in the conference. He was assured that the press will
not ask him questions. The man still RAN AWAY. Well, they can run all they
want, but they can't hide. Let us continue to harass them and continue to
ask them tough questions. Let us continue to force them to defend their
indefensible positions.
KB