GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 20:52:21 +0000
Hi Jallow, to deal with your first question with refrence to the quotation,
am sure you are aware of the the catalogue of atrocities committed by the
armed forces in Africa. Do you happen to think that these are spontaneous
acts of violence. I think you would be very naive to accept that. To
understand the brutalities and violence commonly displayed by the armed
forces in Africa, you have to dwell on the history of the origins of these
forces. Most of the armed forces in Africa were the creation of the
colonialist and am sure you are aware of the fact the colonialists purpose
for creating armies was mainly to perpetuate their domination of the African
people, to achieve this required a very loyal and trustworthy army, hence
they instituted a pattern of education that was conciously designed to make
their recruits conform to their desires. Hence evolved in Africa and
institution that was a machine of suppression.

After indepence most of the governments maintained the statu-quo, people's
expectatiobns were dashed hence popular uprisings became the order of the
day. To control these uprisings the armed forces revert to the same role and
functions as a tool or mechanism of oppression. Tis in brief is the origin
of the Army in Africa and the blue print that was left by the colonialist
was adopted and even made more crude in some instances.

As for Gambia it has  a relatively young army and it was created against the
backdrop of Kukoi, obviously its purpose was not to defend against our
neighbours, since Senegal helped to creat it, hence it's purpose can only
serve one function and that is not a detterent against foreign invasion. Its
primary function therfore had to be to suppress any form of challenge to the
state. Hence from the onset it had a clear mandate, that was why the core of
the upper echeleon was mainly people Jawara had faith on. He could not have
afforded to put people in high positions if there loyalty was doubted. That
was why when you talked about the professionalism and the places you went to
study I began to put your mentality in perspective. You see, of course there
would be a few of you that would be highly trained and provided with
facilities to keep you happy. But the rank and file had little chance of
prospering, for them life in the army can be very oppressive and daunting,
unlike your ilk who enjoy the  trappings and are endowed with absolute
power. In fact it is common knowledge that officers in the African armis can
get away almost with everything they do as long as they stay loyal to their
masters. In such a world of sea professionalism is just a concept after all
the professionalism is only directed to the people. When there is conflict
with authority then the army is on a hype eager to shoot and kill. Where is
the professionalism if the army whose remit should  be to protect the people
becomes the arch enemy of the people.

If this is your concept of professionalism the we have a differing notion of
the concept. I feel that a genuine army have a legitimate intrest in the
affairs of nation hence they most be politically concious, this is different
from being partisan. In fact I hold the believe that there could be
legitimate intervention in certain instances where the ruling class has
converted into fascism, but this has to be done only to return power to the
people instead of usurping to hold onto it.

I hope you understand the notion or concept of people's army. A people's
army one that is loved and revered by the people and not one that is feared.
A people's army must involved in the community, take on some community
projects and justify their salaries instead of having to wait for command to
storm and brutalise the population. A genuine army  can never aim a gun at
their citizens and this type of army is yet to imerge in Africa. I hope the
form of education in army institutions reflect the democratic as well as
socvial needs of the people. For a soldier that is enlighthen can never shot
at his brothers and sisters. There cannot be any justificatiopn to shot an
kill unarmed cuvilians.