GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 15:31:02 +0000
Here is part 4 of SOS Jatta's budget speech. The rest will follow later.

Have a good day, Gassa.

PROGRAMME BASED BUDGETING FOR EFFICIENT RESOURCE ALLOCATION AND USE WITH A
POVERTY REDUCTION DIMENSION

VIII. POVERTY REDUCTION THROUGH INFRASTRUCTURAL DEVELOPMENT

Mr Speaker,

The essence of an existing and up-to-date infrastructure for trade,
industrial expansion and growth – the fundamental basis of our Vision,
cannot be overemphasised. It is for this, that we labour to expand our
infrastructure base as well as maintain and upgrade the existing facilities.

i. Energy

Government continues to restructure the energy sector with the objective of
providing efficient, reliable and affordable energy services to the
population. A draft national energy policy has recently been developed and
is currently being reviewed by government. This is intended to drive
programme formulation in the sector to attract investment and improve
service provision.

Last year we lamented the situation of our energy sector – specifically the
supply of electricity, which was characterised by intermittent and
insufficient supply. The total available generating capacity at Kotu Power
Station was 23 MW. Today, the Station has a generating capacity of 41 MW,
following an Engineering, Procurement and Construction Contract agreement
with a consortium of firms. In this respect, the August Assembly should be
informed that the increase in power output is due to the addition of three
new generators, the acquisition of which was facilitated by HE the
President.

The increased generating capacity has engendered the need for network
expansion and rehabilitation in order to make power available to its
consumers. To this end, the Government will embark on a major project to
strengthen the transmission and distribution systems during the course of
2002. This project will ensure reliability of supply to existing customers
while expanding the transmission and distribution network.

In the last budget speech, we reported on plans to embark on a rural
electrification programme. The project consists of 6 new power stations
situated at Barra, Kerewan, Farafenni, Kaur, Bansang and Basse. These will
serve as the basis for the development of a national grid. A full-scale
implementation of this most important project will begin in 2002. As
programmed by 2003/2004, 46 rural towns and villages will have access to
electricity on a 24-hour basis.

The Government continues to place emphasis on alternative and renewable
sources of energy. The electrification of the rural areas is not confined to
conventional electricity only. Government is studying a proposal for the
installation of 5000 solar home systems from Spanish Company.

Consumption of fuel wood with its negative impact on the environment has
always been a concern to Government. As a consequence, a multi-dimensional
approach is being developed in consultation with national, regional,
bilateral and multilateral agencies to address the issue of domestic and
alternative energy supply.

ii. Civil Works

Mr Speaker, Sir,

In pursuit of the laudable objectives embodied in Vision 2020, the
Government has been relentless in its efforts to initiate and adopt
far-reaching policies in the Transport, Communication and Information
sectors.

For the road sub-sector, the required steps have been taken to ensure the
setting up of the Highway Maintenance Authority in early 2002 that will
ensure the availability of sufficient and reliable sources of funds for
efficient road maintenance. The Government accords high priority to the
Transport sector since the development of this sector enhances economic
growth, social progress and poverty reduction.

The period over the last 12 months has witnessed considerable progress in
the road sub sector where emphasis is mainly on the rehabilitation,
extension and maintenance of existing road infrastructure. The Essau to
Kerewan road and the Kerewan Bridge have now been completed whilst the Kombo
Coastal roads Project is soon to be completed. The studies for the
rehabilitation of the Farafenni to Laminkoto road have also been completed
and funding has been secured from the Kuwaiti Fund.

The reconstruction of the Sere-kunda Mandinaba road is now fully underway.
The project as you may know, will upgrade 12km of the section between
Westfield and Banjul International Airport to a dual carriageway and a
single carriageway from there to Mandinaba. Currently arrangements are at an
advanced stage for the construction of the Mandinaba to Soma road to keep
the stretch usable.

The reconstruction of the Badala Parkway incorporating streetlights has
already commenced to mitigate the high volume of traffic in sere-kunda
originating from Banjul and heading towards the airport and beyond. The road
will be extended from the Shell Station on Kairaba Avenue to intersect the
Banjul Serrekunda Highway at Stink Corner.

As we foster decentralization of development, the Basse to Fatoto and Basse
to Yorobawol roads have been regravelled and the bush track from Fatoto to
Koina, raised to a gravel standard. The Bridge linking Basse to the Ferry
crossing over to Wuli have also been reconstructed through EU Funding.

iii. Transportation

Mr Speaker,

Our drive to provide a nationwide and uninterrupted transport service
through the GPTC was seriously constrained by such developments, as the
increase in the price of fuel (in March) and the cost of spare parts due to
escalating foreign exchange rates. The above were exacerbated further by
poor road conditions particularly on the provincial routes.

Notwithstanding the above constraints, the GPTC continues to execute its
mandate based on the commercial expediency of routes. The recent opening of
the new Kombo Coastal road provides new opportunities for the corporation to
penetrate into the Kombos. The corporation has already re-introduced the
Banjul/Kartong service with effect from 8th July 2001.

Since last year, government negotiated four Bilateral Air Transport
Agreements, three of which: - with the United States of America, Namibia,
and Burkina Fasso, were concluded and signed. This has led to a milestone
development witnessed through the commencement of direct weekly flight
services to Baltimore and Washington D.C in the United States in May of this
year. This was facilitated by a joint operation agreement between Gambia
International Airlines (GIA) and Ghana Airways. Government has also, in the
last 12 months ratified various important air law protocols and conventions
that seek to strengthen our local air transport industry and bring it in
conformity with global trends.

Expanding and upgrading facilities at Banjul International Airport has
entered its second phase following successful completion of the New
Passenger Terminal and Control Tower Project. Next year, the works to
commence at the airport include a dual carriage airport access road,
expansion of the parking apron and rehabilitation of the runway. The first
lot of these works is expected to complete in the next eight months.

On the sea transport front, the Gambia Ports Authority has implemented a
series of modernisation projects including the construction of a passenger
terminal with an area of 292.9 sq meters, for improving both the capacity
and service delivery medium of the authority. Funded jointly by the Gambia
government and ADB, this passenger terminal facility includes offices and
waiting facilities for passengers as well as a luggage holding area and
bus-parking bay.

On River transport, we experienced a setback following the declaration of
the sea unworthiness of the two ferries the Niumi and Banjul, leaving Barra
as the only vessel plying the Banjul-Barra waterway. Government was however
swift to react to this predicament and has now successfully put in place the
funds to acquire a new ferry which is currently in dry dock under
construction. Insha Allah by April 2002 a new ferry will be delivered to the
Gambia people. Meanwhile Government has directed GPA to take over Ferry
Services from the GPTC with effect from 1st July 2001 under a caretaker
management.

iv. Telecommunication

Mr Speaker, Sir,

In order to keep abreast with the dynamic telecommunications environment,
the much talked about GSM network was launched under a subsidiary company –
Gamcel during the course of this year. The project cost over D100m and is
expected to provide modern mobile telephone service to over 30,000
subscribers.

Other areas of investment and achievements in 2001 include the construction
of the TV building, cable and network expansion project to substantially
reduce the waiting list in both urban and rural areas for enhanced
subscriber connections. International circuit was increased from 480 to 660
to boost international connectivity and the new TDMA system established that
provides access to basic telephone service for every village or town

Internet connectivity has been given a boost by the increase in the Internet
gateway bandwidth from 512 kilobits to 1-mega bits per second. Plans are
underway to establish another mega bit to serve both as a supplement and a
backup to the first one. An Internet awareness campaign was also embarked
upon to increase the benefits of this medium to our people. There are also
plans to lay a fibre cable from Fatoto to Farafenni, next year, for
increased country coverage.

v. Postal Services

Mr Speaker,

In our continued drive to improve and expand the range of services, the Post
Office recently concluded and launched Western Union Money Transfer Service
in partnership with the Continent Bank. This development is in line with
government’s objective of fostering closer partnership with the private
sector in the provision of essential services to the public. The service is
accessible at Banjul, Soma and SereKunda Post Offices. Other postal outlets
will soon join the network.

The government is now in the final phase of transforming the Post Office to
an autonomous entity and plans are underway to introduce a Courier Service
Unit at the GPO. This will be dedicated to responding to time sensitive
mails of the public and thenceforth, the Postal Service will assume a new
business posture, in line with its commercial orientation and in readiness
to providing quality service to its larger customer base.

vi. Maintenance Service Agency (MSA)

The MSA has embarked on a diversification programme aimed at widening its
product mix and customer base. The Company now produces steel doors,
windows, burglar proofing, and also collects and sells scrap metals for
export. There are plans for the company to embark on the sale of spare parts
and lubricants, agricultural implements in partnership with Internal Private
Investors.

The Company also operates a Motoring School, which is providing first class
lessons in driving aimed at reducing the incidence of road Traffic
accidents. In the 2002 financial Year, MSA Co, Limited intends to intensify
its diversification programme in an attempt to improve on its profitability
and customer services delivery.

IX. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

i. Forestry

Mr Speaker,

Government continues to vigorously pursue the 10-year Forest Policy goal
through both Community and Private sector participation. This is to ensure
that 30% of the total land area is put under forest cover and 75% managed.
To achieve this goal the Department of Forestry last year launched the
10-year National Forestry Action Plan as base for sustainable forest
management, monitoring and investment.

In a bid to optimise benefits from our forests, eco-tourism is now being
rigorously promoted. The successful case of Tumani Tenda as an eco-tourist
resort has encouraged the replication of small-scale-community based tourism
enterprises all over the country.

With the support of the Federal Republic of Germany and the European Union,
the area of forest under management continues to increase. The Central River
Division Forestry Project has just entered its second phase with about DM 8
million provided by GTZ and Kfw. Interim arrangements were made with the
European Union through the Support to Decentralised Rural Development (SDRD)
Programme to provide financial support to forestry activities in the Upper
River Division. The Gambian-German Forestry Project has entered its last
phase during which it will focus on helping the implementation of forestry
in Western and Lower River Divisions.

The Community Forestry Concept is still being pursued with a great deal of
commitment. Over 50,000 hectares of natural forest is under one form of
community management or the other. Additional forest management options are
being piloted to increase the participation of the general public in the
management of the forest resources. Prominent among these is the Joint
Forest Park Management with the neighbouring communities. This approach is
being given special priority within the context of the Central River
Division Forestry Project. Ultimately, it is intended that all the 66 forest
parks in the country will be managed through this approach.

ii. Parks and Wildlife Management

Mr. Speaker,

Cabinet has recently discussed and approved the first ever-comprehensive
policy and legislation on biodiversity and wildlife for The Gambia. This new
policy and legislation will ensure conformity with our international
obligations in the area of the environment as well as guarantee and protect
the rights of local resource users. It further seeks to retain a portion of
the revenue generated for community development initiatives and for eventual
reinvestment into the park system for the improvement of infrastructure and
services.

An MOU was signed in June 2001 with the Republic of Senegal regarding the
trans-boundary Management of Niumi National Park and Saloum Delta Biosphere
Reserve as an ecological entity for the benefit of our two countries.

iii. Water Resources

Mr Speaker,

The Department of Water Resources continues to observe and provide early
warning information on extreme Meteorological and Hydrological events,
assess the Climate System to enhance management of our national water
resources, to protect the environment and sensitise the general public on
hygienic practices.

The third phase of the Saudi Sahel Programme (SSP III), which started in
October of 2000 has made substantial progress in the provision of 90 water
points for 40, 000 people over a 22 months period.

Since December 1999, a new phase of the EDF Village Water Supply (EDF-VWS)
Project is being implemented as sub-component of the EDF financed SDRD
programme. By the end of the programme in 2003, the project intends to
complete thirty new solar powered village water supply systems and upgrade
some twenty to twenty-five existing ones. The initial budget of the project
is 3.8 million Euro equivalent to about fifty million dalasis.

The project will also be supported by a second phase of the Regional Solar
Programme (RSPII), also funded by the EDF, with a provisional budget
allocation to the Gambia of 1.9 million Euro or about twenty-five million
Dalasis. Also, concrete-lined wells fitted with hand pumps are constructed
through Divisional EDF Programme under the SDRD; these are concentrated in
the North Bank, Western and Upper River Division with a targeted 60,000
rural inhabitants to benefit.

iv. National Environment Agency (NEA)

Mr Speaker,

Government is still committed to seeing that our natural resources and the
environment are managed properly for the benefit of both our generation and
generations to come. We shall continue to build on the successes registered
from the implementation of the first phase of the Gambia Environment Action
Plan (GEAP). In this connection, the National Environment Management Council
has recently adopted the second phase of the GEAP (2001- 2004) as the next
blue print for the sustainable utilisation of our natural resources and the
environment.

Government has accepted that sectoral approaches to the management and
planning of natural resource utilisation, along coastal areas can no longer
be sustainable. Consequently, it is within this framework that the GEAP has
advocated the promotion of adaptable and flexible process of integrated
coastal and marine areas management. The erosion of our coast is a matter of
serious concern for its economic, social and cultural impacts, which are
mostly negative.

The results of the ADB- financed coastal studies conducted by a Dutch firm
Haskoning have been submitted to Government. Among findings of the study is
the need to site infrastructure and facilities at safe distances from the
shoreline. We therefore urge all investors to abide by the relevant
environmental laws and regulation in their investment ventures.

X. GOVERNANCE ISSUES

Mr, Speaker,

The Gambia’s increasing attention to issues of governance is an important
part of our efforts to promote equitable and sustainable development. We are
cognisant of the fact that good governance is an essential complement to
sound economic policies. As defined by the World Bank: "Good governance is
the manner in which the social and economic resources of civil society are
managed".

Governance is vital for economic development and certainly government has
not turned a blind eye to good governance, accountability and transparency,
as evident in the establishment of the office of the Ombudsman, the IEC,
coupled with mutual settlement with West Coast Air inherited from the
previous government, and the settlement with Alimenta.. However, there is
still some room for improvement. As one commentator puts it: "There is a
time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small
enough to solve" (Mike Leavitt). Therefore, the role of our development
partners, donor community, civic society and NGOs, is crucial and highly
desirable to creating a conducive environment. We cannot do it all alone,
that’s why we need the collaborative efforts of all stakeholders in societal
development.

Mr, Speaker Sir,

174. In keeping with Government’s declared objective of bringing justice
closer to the majority of Gambians, the Department of State for Justice and
the Judiciary this year established and inaugurated the Divisional High
Court in Brikama. I am pleased to inform this august body that plans are
well advanced for the construction of a High Court and residences for Judges
in both Brikama and Basse.

175. This will, in addition to taking justice to the doorsteps of our people
save much needed human and financial resources on the part of the majority
of Gambians who have hitherto had to travel long distances and spend
valuable resources to gain access to justice in Banjul, particularly during
the rainy season. The benefits to accrue both to Government and the people
in terms of poverty alleviation are immeasurable.

Mindful of the growing need for revenue generation to match the increasing
need for public expenditure, Government has embarked on a re-structuring of
the Registrar General’s Department into a semi-autonomous business-oriented
organisation as opposed to its present service-oriented activities. The
functions of the Registrar General’s Department include the registration of
business, Deeds, Titles and Agreements among others.

Presently, the services provided for businesses and individuals are grossly
under-valued and therefore subsidized from Government revenue. Therefore,
the service of a consultant has been requested to revamp and restructure the
Registrar General’s Department into a semi-autonomous and revenue-generating
Department. The revenue to be generated in the future will no doubt be
substantial.

In the pursuit and in preparation for decentralisation, we embarked on a
series of activities, through the Poverty Alleviation and Capacity Building
Programme including the identification of properties in growth centres of
Local Government Areas. The identification process will facilitate a
valuation exercise of rates to be properly assessed, with a standard
national framework in order to enhance the finance resource generated by the
Municipalities and Local Government Administrations. The process is now
complete and a total of above nineteen thousand properties have been
identified in Banjul City Council and the various local councils across the
country.

i. Civil Service Reform

Through the Personnel Management Office (PMO) we strive to develop and
sustain a well-trained and highly professional civil service that is
efficient, productive and responsive to national goals and objectives. This
we are pursuing through the divisions of Personnel Management, Management
Service, Human Resource Development, National Records Services (NRS), and
the Human Resources Information Systems Units. The ADB funded Capacity
Building Project in this vein complements the efforts of EMCBP and CBEMP
towards an efficient civil service.

On the development of human resources, we have tried to train as many civil
service staff as possible from the centralize vote; and supplement this with
multi-sectoral and bilateral donor agencies principally the Commonwealth
Fund and Technical Cooperation (CFTC) in the receipt and dissemination of
training awards. We intend in the coming year to develop a Training Policy
for the Civil Service and commence English Language and Office Practice
courses for Secretaries on an annual basis.