GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:18:23 -0800
Greetings,
I am a longtime member of this list and some of you may have
noticed forwarded messages from me about the upcoming Summit on Africa
national meeting in Washington DC. If anyone wants to find out more about
this event, let me know privately and I will forward information.
Regardless of the extent to which the Summit's recommendations will
actually be implemented in any meaningful way by the powers that be, I
think that this project should not be underestimated as a venue to
raise American consciousness about Africa policy as well as to provide a
gigantic forum for networking among groups and individuals concerned about
Africa.
 I am one of the delegates for the Washington State delegation and plan to
attend the Summit on Presidents' week-end. I am now appealing for help
from the Gambian community in Washington DC.  Our delegation has access to
no external funds whatsoever and we are depending on fundraising to pay
for going. One major expense is, of course, lodging. To waste several
hundred dollars a night for each delegate on overpriced hotelrooms seems
less than sensible.  I am therefore sending out a request for volunteer
hosts who can for, I think, three nights put up a delegate or two on a
floor or couch (we are all pretty down to earth folk with reasonable
comfort requirements). I am personally set up with friends, but know of a
dozen people who are still looking for a place to sleep. These are all
nice and trustworthy people with a deep interest in Africa and none should
prove to be the houseguest from hell.  I hope no one will take offense at
this appeal to the famous Gambian hospitality, but see this merely as an
opportunity to contribute to a worthwhile endeavor and help us use our
extremely limited resources for things like registration fees ($100 per
delegate).  Thank you so much, Ylva Hernlund

PS in order not to clog up everyone's mailboxes, perhaps it is better if
people respond directly to me, unless you have general comments abut the
Summit.