GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:56:08 +0200
I would like to forward this two articles concerning Female Circumcision one
written by Imam Seedy Ali Janneh of Gothenburg Sweden some time ago early
this year plus another by DR. Sheikh Abdal- Rahman b. Hasan al Nafisah of
Riyadh Saudi Arabia .The articles a long but it worth the time to gain some
knowledge from the topic .My best regards

Luntang

WOMEN GENITAL MUTILATION

INTRODUCTION

God has created human beings, making them male and female, and placed them
above all creatures on earth. But remember he (God) created human beings
with duties to perform and with specific reasons. Anything good, bad and
wholesome for human beings are stipulated in the Holy Book (Quran) and words
from his Holy Messenger (Muhammad Pbuh) which every Muslim most act
according to those scriptures. The religion of Islam teaches that in other
to achieve true peace of mind and surety of heart, one must submit to God
and live according to His Divinely revealed law. If this is understood,
therefore, any issue concerning religion to be debated among Muslims, my
advice is to consult the holy Quran and words from His Holy messenger in
other to avoid confusion and conflicts among us. What ever is not mention in
the Quran and cannot be found in any of His messengers hadith shouldn’t be
any problem to all Muslims in general. Listen to this verse in the Quran:
When there comes to them some matter Touching (public) safety or fear, they
divulge it. If the had only referred it to the messenger or to those charged
with authority among them, the proper investigators would have known it from
them (direct). Were it not for the Grace and mercy of Allah unto you, All
but few of you would have followed Satan.
Quran: 3/83
If you read this verse very carefully and clearly understood the language
and the content of it, means if any issue to be discussed or debated and you
have no knowledge or little knowledge of the issue concerned contact any
learned scholar who is capable to give the right answer before commenting or
passing any decision wrongly on the subject. To make it short, act, comment,
contact learned scholars, Allah’s holy Quran and words from our beloved Holy
Messenger (Muhammad Pbuh) to subjects related to religious affairs in other
to avoid conflicts and misunderstandings on subjects not even necessarily to
be dispute among us. If we follow these instructions I see no reason why we
should argue on the subject concern after the final say of the Quran. Again
Allah mention the following in the Quran
It is not fitting for a believer, man or woman, when a matter has been
decided by Allah and His messenger, to have any option about their decision.
If any one disobeys Allah and His messenger, he is indeed on a clearly wrong
path.
Quran: 33/36
Knowing the truth, if you don’t accept it means you disobey A God’s word
which means you are among the disbelievers. Any good religious preacher,
intelligence enough to address the people, knowing their level of
understanding shall never neglect the truth from the holy Quran and words
from His messenger. Therefore God said in the Holy Quran:
O you who believe! Raise not your voices above the voice of the Prophet,
neither speaks aloud to him in talk, as you may speak aloud to one another,
lest your deeds become vain and you perceive not.
Quran: 49/2
This means no additional words or sentences should be added to more than
what his holy messenger has already said. The messenger (Muhammad) said in
one of His Hadith, God has blessed those who kept, guided and spread the
message the way it should be. I pray to God to be among those in this Ayah
which I will reveal to you, that is those who listen to the word and follow
the best of it. Those are the ones who Allah has guided and those are the
ones endued with understanding.
Quran: 18/39

May God bless you all!

FACTS ABOUT WOMEN GENITAL MUTILATION

Islam has few factors besides the five pillars to be considered very
essential when judging subject matters, it has to be analyzed, shorted out
by learned scholars with accurate knowledge. The following are as follows,
1 - FAR“D:

Meaning, according to the Quran is compulsory to all Muslims to practice it,
failure to comply with the rules, you will be punished.
But any action to be practiced and might cause damage, suffering and
hardship through the process and is related to far“d should not be practiced
because Allah does not impose any unnecessary burden on His human creatures
because of our weakness from creation.
The definition of far“d in the Holy Quran and addition to what the Holy
messenger has stated, there shouldn’t be any compromise on any issue related
to FAR“D.
This indicates that the Holy Quran and messages from Allah’s Holy messenger
is an illuminative perfect method of life which guides people to true
solutions for both mundane and religious problems. What ever a deed may be
good or evil. The Quran not only guides us to solutions for all kinds of
problems in all times, but the Quranic solutions for these problems are also
characterised by being just and right, whereas, all other solutions contrary
to it are short and defective as they are based on human feebleness,
ignorance and injustice.
God had great mercy upon his human slaves and wishes them to live in comfort
and peace in the world. It is not His wish to suffer by acting according to
FAR“D, but if suffering and pain would be the outcome of it, God, the
Almighty recommended avoiding such practices even thou the issue is
connected to Far“d.
There should be no compromise on Islamic principles and the words of Allah
(Quran). Allah’s words can’t be challenged on matters stipulated in His holy
book (Quran). But at the same time if the action will cause damage,
suffering and hardship Allah being merciful has shown ways to escape from
such practices.
We all know that as Muslim it is strictly prohibited to eat pork and
dead-animals, but what about if you find yourself in a very difficult
situation, hungry having nothing to eat and if you don’t eat you going die,
then tell me are you going to let yourself die of hunger or going to eat
what is prohibited in other to survive? My answer to this critical question
is to eat what is prohibited in other to survive rather than to die of
hunger(suicide) refusing to eat means you disobey Allah’s words and if that
should be the result of your death without doubt you will be punished for
disobeying Allah’s instructions.
It is stated in the Quran that: He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and
blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been
invoked besides that of Allah. But if one is forced by necessity, without
wilful disobedience.
Quran:2/173
2 - SUNNAH:
The general concept of Sunnah means an advice from the Holy prophet
(Muhammad) his sayings and his actions. Is highly appreciated if you follow
Sunnah in your daily life as Muslim, you will be rewarded for your
practices. If you don’t act according to Sunnah there is no punishment laid
upon you. It is a voluntarily message from our beloved prophet to all dear
Muslims. Practicing it is good, but once again you will not be punished by
Almighty for failure to practicing it. Example the five daily prayers are
compulsory to all Muslims, but any other additional prayers are voluntarily.
ABIHURAIRA said one day he heard the Prophet saying the following words
(A) Anything I advice you to do, perform it wholeheartedly at your best
(B) But anything I advice you to stay away from it put that aside completely
never aim to practice it.
Hence Sunnah is not compulsory, why should we Muslims create artificial
problems. Even if the subject/matter is one way or the other connected to
Sunnah likely to create problems among Muslim community it is advisable to
put that issue aside to prevent disunity. God dislike seeing his followers
quarrelling on matters which He God and His prophet has clearly indicated
solutions on the matter in His Holy Quran:

3 - MUSTAHAB:

Is regarded the lowest grade of all religious performances comparison to
Far“d and Sunnah. It is only a desirable act of faith; no promise of reward
is granted for your actions and no punishment for disobeying. As I said
earlier, any religious practices resulting to inconvenient and hardship
should be kept aside. The three mentioned topics are the guard lines to help
solving religious matters with the help of leaders having profound knowledge
on the issue. Every question needs an answer, but not every answer is
correct if the right person having the right knowledge not consulted. If you
ask a wrong person not competent enough surely without any question of doubt
he/she will feed you a wrong answer. Any subject for discussion study its
contents carefully, analyze it under which category among three (Far“d,
Sunnah, Mustahab) should be applied to give correct answer.

CIRCUMCISION

a - Men

Circumcision is Sunnah meaning a circumcised man and uncircumcised are all
equal before God, because is not part of FAR“D.
The circumcised man is granted a reward for performing some part of Sunnah
while the uncircumcised is granted no reward neither punishment that is the
only difference. Both men have the right to be a religious leader like Imam.
Imam Malick said if you were to choose an Imam among two capable persons,
his advice was to choose the one circumcised simply because he has performed
part of Sunnah. This does not mean that the other person can’t be a leader
or Imam.

b - FGM

Women genital mutilation is not Sunnah is among the last category mentioned
earlier(MUSTAHAB) some called it MAKRAMA meaning respect. Any matter under
this category especially women genital mutilation is totally voluntarily.

Tradition has more say on the subject than religion. Any one propagating
women circumcision shouldn’t base your facts on tradition happened thousands
and thousands of years ago. Some said or believed that Prophet Ebrahim was
circumcised; note that Ebrahim is a man not a woman. It is pointless to base
your facts on that. There is no clear evidence or fact that women should be
circumcised. THALABI said in one of his books(Araisul Majalis), Ebrahim was
self-circumcised after his first contact with the second wife from Egypt by
the name (HAJARAH)
His first wife(SARAH) got angry; she thought that Ebrahim was circumcised
because of the second wife from Egypt. She told Ebrahim am going to revenge
in three ways namely by cutting a bit of both ears and finally to circumcise
her. Ebrahims first wife did it for revenge not because of religion.

If women circumcision will cause harm, pain, suffering and inconvenient on
the individual concern then it is not advisable to go through it.
Accordingly one may do what is lawful and must avoid what is prohibited or
will cause suffering insofar as he or she has another choice and the choice
is you can be without it.

However, there is a grey area between the clearly permissible and the
clearly forbidden. This is the area of what is doubtful. Some people may not
be able to decide whether a particular matter is permissible or forbidden,
such confusion may be due either to doubtful evidence or because of doubt
concerning the applicability of the text to the particular circumstance or
matter in question. Anything concerning tradition should be cured or tackled
traditionally.
Some part of the world do accept women circumcision as legality while some
didn’t, both groups consist of scholars with wide range of knowledge on
subject matters. Women circumcision have being existing long before religion
came to us. This has been an old long tradition. We shouldn’t shout loud to
a matter which is categorised very minor (MUSTAHAB) if this action will
create maltreatment, suffering, damage and discomfort being a good Muslim
such practices shouldn’t be encouraged.
My suggestion concerning the matter of women circumcision is that,
individuals directly involved must be invited to have their say on the
matter through which ways and means of a favourable solution could be
reached to satisfy both partners. They shouldn’t be put aside otherwise the
whole issue will be meaningless to debate. According to our tradition, women
has a high statues in our society, we listen to them and treat them with all
respect. The degree of respect we have for women can’t be compared with any
other tradition. If we should debate or discuss the actual issue (women
genital mutilation) it should be within partners having the same respect for
women as we did.
Some part of the world sees women as Satan very surprising and disappointing
as long as our tradition is concern. Hence this people at all levels has no
respect for women seeing them very undervalued, therefore any matter for
discussion beneficial for these women might be an opposite to them.
To have a fair debate on the matter, those short-sighted people must first
accept women’s value and dignity there then an open debate can be organised
to find solutions. Allah has set an example in the Quran for such people:
When news is brought to them, of (the birth of) a female (child), his face
darkens, and he is filed with inward grief. With shame does he hide himself
from his people, because of the bad news he has had! Shall he retain it on
(sufferance and) contempt, or bury it in the dust? Ah what an evil (choice)
they decide on

Quran : 16/58-59

Those believing in women circumcision, they did it because of their
tradition but for them abortion is inhuman and cruel thing while the other
partner sees abortion as legality.
Is very confusing to judge who is right and wrong. One group act according
to their tradition an action not necessarily to practice at all but do
believe the child’s right to exist, the other group feel that the child in
question shouldn’t one way or the other (abortion).Very confusing in the
sense that before any discussion takes place, is it not advisable to give
the person in question her right to life there then the question of her
circumcision be raised for discussion.
If we all agreed her right to life is an ultimatum then a serious debate or
discussion on women circumcision worldwide must be fully encouraged. Take
this for an example, different countries have different customs and
different sets of beliefs. The traditional types of cloth worn in Africa are
not the same worn in Europe. Different customs and traditions of some
countries differ like day and night. Immigrants living in foreign countries
have children born in that society; learn the country’s culture, traditions,
customs and language as such knowledge was required to survive. These
children without doubt will be positively related to adoption of the country’s
cultural and traditional practices to greater extend than their country of
origin. You can’t expect these children to adopt your tradition over one
night during their vocation because their fathers and mothers were citizens
of that country but not them. They are born in Europe possessing European
citizen and in that country woman circumcision is completely prohibited. Any
unlawful traditional action (women genital mutilation) that has nothing to
do with religion forced against these children, unlawful in their country of
birth, if detected by the authorities will result to total destruction of
the whole family. Punishment for such action always leads to imprisonment,
loose custody, be fined and possibly deportation. It is never God’s wish to
punish parents for action they are not the course of it. Because of their
unlawful action based on no fact and ignorance the whole family suffered,
these are the families helping the country in a form of sending medical
equipments paying school fees for the poor, building mosque and helping
their relatives at home. The point is why you imposed or implement an old
fashion tradition on a child who has no notion of your tradition at large.
You can’t expect this child to be part and parcel of your tradition
automatically because of her background that is completely wrong. She sees
the world in a different way, if she should decide for herself she would
surely say No I don’t want to be cut it has nothing to do with religion. God
said the following in the Quran: No mother shall be treated unfairly on
account of her child .Nor father on account of his child.
Quran: 2/233
Finally I would like to appeal to all Muslims around the world to follow
what is written in the Quran and words from our beloved messenger (Muhammad
Pbuh). It would be of good idea to organise a conference/debate on the
subject inviting learned scholars all around the world so that we can find a
better solution. All this misunderstandings is due to misinterpretation of
the Quran and illiteracy, I seek God’s forgiveness and blessings not to be
among those as stated in the Quran ignorant, who can read the Quran but can’t
understand the contents. God said the following words in the Quran:

And there are among them illiterates, who know not the Book, But (see
therein their own) desires, and they do nothing but conjecture.
Quran: 2/78

Note: A full coverage of this subject in audio CD( in Mandinka language) can
be ordered through,
Imam seedy Ali Janneh [log in to unmask]
Imam of Gothenburg Tel: office + 4631519146
Sweden Home + 46 31536233

Mobile + 46 704406859

Female Circumcision & Islam

By Sheikh (Dr.) `Abd al-Rahmān b. Hasan al-Nafisah, editor of the
Contemporary Jurisprudence Research Journal, Riyadh

 The question of female circumcision in Muslim lands attracts considerable
media attention. This is probably due to the negative reactions and
condemnation that the practice provokes – especially in European countries
that have large Muslim communities. This attention grew considerably after
one African Muslim discussed on television the way that this circumcision is
carried out and declared that the practice was recommended by Islamic Law.
This led certain countries to pass legislation prohibiting female
circumcision on the grounds that it is harmful to women and a violation of
their rights.

Pre-Islamic Arabia

Before discussing this practice in light of Islamic teachings, it behooves
us to consider that the circumcision of girls is a custom that has been
practiced since ancient times in parts of Africa , particularly in Egypt ,
Nubia , Sudan , and their surroundings. The prevalent type of female
circumcision practiced in that region is known as Pharaonic circumcision,
and it seems that the reason for it was the desire of the men in those
societies to weaken the sexual desire of women in order to ensure their
chastity.

It is quite possible that this practice spread to neighboring Arab countries
from Egypt and practiced on occasion or that Arabs were at least aware of
this custom before the advent of Islam, since customs can spread from one
society to another. However, I have not come across any verifiable evidence
that the Arabs of pre-Islamic times were in the practice of circumcising
their daughters. Among them were those who killed their daughters fearing
the shame that they brought and had no need for circumcision.

What is reported in the Sunnah

There are some narrations attributed to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon
him) concerning female circumcision. The most important of which are the
following:

1. "Circumcision is Sunnah for men and an honourable thing for women."
[Musnad Ahmad (19794)]

Ibn Hajar al-`Asqalāni discusses this hadīth in al-Talkhīs al-Habīr
(4/1407):

Ahmad and al-Bayhaqī narrate this hadīth from al-Hajjāj b. Arta'ah who
narrates it from Abū al-Mulayh from Usāmah from his father.

This al-Hajjāj is one who is known to use ambiguous terms in conveying his
chain of transmission, and moreover he is inconsistent in this narration.
Sometimes he cites his chain of transmission as given above and at other
times he mentions an additional narrator named Shidād b. `Aws after Abū
Mulayh's father. This is how we find the hadīth being narrated in Musannaf
Ibn Abī Shaybah, Ibn Abī Hātim's `Ilal, and Mu`jam al-Tabarānī al-Kabīr.

At other times, he narrates the hadīth from Makhūl from Abū Ayyūb. This
narration can be found in Musnad Ahmad. Ibn Abī Hātim mentions this in
al-`Ilal and quotes his father as laying the blame for the mistake on either
al-Hajjāj or the narrator who relates it from him `Abd al-Wāhid b. Ziyād.
Al-Bayhaqī says about `Abd al-Wāhid b. Ziyād: "He is a weak narrator and his
narrations are incomplete."

In al-Tamhīd, Ibn `Abd al-Barr says: "This hadīth depends upon the narration
of al-Hajjāj b. Arta'ah whose narrations cannot be used as evidence for
anything."

The hadīth is in fact related by a narrator other than al-Hajjāj b. Arta'ah.
This statement is related in Mu`jam al-Tabarānī al-Kabīr and in Sunan
al-Bayhaqī on the authority of Ibn `Abbās back to the Prophet (peace be upon
him). However, al-Bayhaqī himself declares it to be a weak hadīth when he
mentions it in Sunan al-Bayhaqī. He says in his work al-Ma`rifah: "It is not
authentic as a statement of the Prophet (peace be upon him)."Therefore, this
is a weak hadīth.

2. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is reported to have passed by a
woman performing circumcision on a young girl. He instructed the woman by
saying: "Trim, but do not cut into it, for this is brighter for the face (of
the girl) and more favourable with the husband." [ Mu`jam al-Tabarānī
al-Awsat (2274)]

Ibn Hajar al-`Asqalāni discusses this hadīth as well in al-Talkhīs al-Habīr
(4/1407-1408):

Al-Hākim relates it in al-Mustadrak from `Ubayd Allah b. `Amr who narrates
it from Zayd b. Abī Usayd from `Abd al-Malik b. `Umayr from al-Dahhāk b.
Qays that in Madīnah there was a woman called Umm `Atiyyah who used to
circumcise the slave girls, so Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said to
her: "O Umm `Atiyyah! Trim, but do not cut into it, for this is brighter for
the face (of the girl) and more favourable with the husband."

It likewise related by al-Tabarānī, by Abū Nu`aym in al-Ma`rifah, and by
al-Bayhaqī with essentially the same chain of transmission except that
narrator `Ubayd Allah b. `Amr narrates it from "a man from the city of
Kufah" from `Abd al-Malik b. `Umayr.

Al-Mufdil al-`Ulā'ī says : "I asked Ibn Ma`īn about this hadīth and he told
me that its narrator al-Dahhāk b. Qays is not al-Fahrī."

However, al-Hākim and Abū Nu`āym discuss him under the biographical entry of
"al-Fahrī".

`Abd al-Malik b. `Umayr is inconsistent in how he narrates this hadīth.
Sometimes it is narrated from him as mentioned above. At other times, he is
allegedly relating it from `Atiyyah al-Qurazī as beginning with the words:
"In Madīnah, there used to be a practitioner of circumcision called Umm
`Atiyyah…" It is related in this way by Abū Nu`aym in al-Ma`rifah. At other
times he allegedly relates it with Umm `Atiyyah being the narrator [and not
the practitioner]. This is how it is related in Sunan Abī Dāwūd.

Abū Dāwūd [in Sūnan Abī Dāwūd (5271)] declares the hadīth to be defective on
account of the narrator Muhammad b. Hassān, saying: "Muhammad b. Hassān is
an unknown narrator and this hadīth is weak."

Ibn `Adiyy and al-Bayhaqī confirm Abū Dāwūd's judgment that Muhammad b.
Hassān is an unknown narrator. `Abd al-Ghanī b. Sa`īd, the author of Īdāh
al-Shakk, disagrees, saying: "He is Muhammad b. Sa`īd al-Maslūb." He goes on
to narrate this hadīth from Muhammad b. Sa`īd al-Maslūb in his biographical
entry for that narrator.

There are two other lines of transmission for this hadīth:

1. Ibn `Adiyy narrates it from Sālim b. `Abd Allah b. `Umar – and al-Bazzar
relaes it from Nāfi` - from `Abd Allah b. `Umar that the Prophet (peace be
upon him) said: "O women of Madīnah! Do it lightly, trim and do not cut into
it, for it is more favorable with your husbands. And do not deny Allah's
grace." This wording is from al-Bazzar. In al-Bazzār's chain of
transmission, there is the narrator Mandal b. `Alī who is a weak narrator.
In Ibn `Adiyy's chain of transmission, there is the narrator Khālid b. `Amr
al-Qurashī who is even weaker.

2. Al-Tabarānī relates it in al-Mu`jam al-Saghīr – and Ibn `Adiyy relates it
as well – from Abī Khalīfah who narrates it from Muhammad b. Salām al-Jamhī
from Zā'idah b. Abī Ruqqād from Thābit from Anas with a text like the one
found in Sunan Abī Dāwūd.

Ibn `Adiyy comments on this line of transmission, saying: "Zā'idah is the
only narrator to relate his hadīth from Thābit."

Al-Tabarānī says: "Muhammad b. Salām is the only one to relate it like
this."

Tha`lab says: "I saw Yahyā b. Ma`īn among some people with Muhammad b. Salām
right in front of me and he asked him about this hadīth."

Al-Bukhārī says about Zā'idah: "His hadīth are false."

Ibn al-Mundhir says: "There is no report about circumcision that can be
relied upon and no chain of transmission that can be followed."In Nayl
al-Awtār (1/137-139), al-Shawkāni discusses the hadīth of Umm `Atiyyah and
says basically the same things about its weakness that Ibn Hajar says above.

Female circumcision according to the scholars of Islamic Law

Due to the weakness of the hadīth that refer to female circumcision – with
some of their narrators being known for deceptiveness and others whose
narrations carry no weight – scholars of Islamic Law have differed widely
regarding its legal ruling.

In the Hanafī school of law there are two different opinions. Some Hanafī
scholars consider it to be a Sunnah for women. Others consider it to be
merely an honorable thing. [refer to: al-Fatāwā al-Hindiyyah and al-Ikhtiyār
li-Tahlīl al-Mukhtār]

It is considered a preferred act ( mandūb) for women in the Mālikī school of
law. They rely upon the hadīth of Umm `Atiyyah for this ruling. [refer to:
Bulghah al-Sālik li-Aqrab al-Masālik and Ashal al-Madārik Sharh Irshād
al-Sālik]

In the Shāfi`ī school of law, circumcision is considered an obligation for
both men and women. This is the official ruling of that school of thought.
Some Shāfi`ī scholars express the view that circumcision is obligatory for
men and merely Sunnah for women. [refer to: al-Majmū`]

In the Hanbalī school of law, circumcision is obligatory for men and merely
an honorable thing for women. It is not obligatory for them. The Hanbalī
jurist Ibn Qudāmah observes: "This is the view of many people of knowledge.
Imam Ahmad said that it is more emphatic for men." [ al-Mughnī (1/115)]

Among contemporary legal scholars, al-Sayyid Sābiq writes: "The hadīth that
call for female circumcision are all weak. Nothing among them is authentic"
[ Fiqh al-Sunnah (1/36)]

Conclusions:

It appears that female circumcision is more a cultural practice than a
matter of Islamic teachings. We have seen that the hadīth which refer to the
practice are all weak. The presence of that practice in Egypt and Nubia up
to this day is just a continuation of a practice that has been around since
the time of the Pharaohs. It is often hard for people to give up deeply
ingrained customs and cultural practiced. They continue to be passed down
from generation to generation.

Another example of the tenacity of custom is the practice among Indian
Muslims where the woman pays a dowry to the husband. This is a pre-Islamic
Indian custom that Islam declares false. Islam requires the husband to pay a
dowry to the wife. Nevertheless, this custom persists among Muslims in both
India and Pakistan , even though the history of Islam in India goes back for
many long centuries.

Likewise, Islam put an end to many pre-Islamic customs that marginalized
women and denied them their rights. It put an end to people condemning each
other's lineages. It put an end to the practice of wailing at a person's
burial. Nonetheless, these practices can still be seen in some Muslim
societies and are often regarded by the people of those societies to be part
and parcel of Islamic Law.

The Shāfi`ī school of law has been the prevalent legal school in Egypt since
its formative years. It may be that the scholars of the Shāfi`ī school who
promoted the view that female circumcision is obligatory had been influenced
by the prevailing culture of the region.

There is no evidence that this practice was widespread among the Pious
Predecessors. Moreover, the practice has never been prevalent in the regions
where Islam originated – Mecca and Madinah and the surrounding areas of
Arabia . It is extremely rare. If female circumcision had truly been
endorsed by Islamic Law, it would certainly have been practiced and
perpetuated in those regions. Only male circumcision is practiced, due to
the authentic evidence in the Sunnah that it is part of the natural way (
fitrah).

We conclude that female circumcision is merely a cultural practice that has
no prescribed Islamic ruling for it and that is supported by no decisive
textual evidence. It is simply a regional custom in the places where it is
practiced. We must then take into consideration that many medical
professionals consider it to have detrimental affects for the girls who
undergo the operation. On that basis, it would be impermissible to allow
this custom to continue. In Islamic Law, preservation of the person – the
life and bodily soundness of the person – is a legal necessity. Anything
that compromises this legal necessity by bringing harm to the person is
unlawful.

Thanks for reading, I hope you gather some thing(s) from it. And Allah knows
best.