GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
SUNTOU TOURAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:33:07 +0000
My brief views on some of Halifa's response.
“Under the 1970 constitution, the President could not be taken to court forany reason, civil or criminal; under the 1997 constitution, the Presidentcan be taken to court for violation of fundamental rights and freedoms.” Halifa to Saul and Hamjata.

I am not aware of the questions that were put to Halifa, so the responses
here are based on one sided information. It seems to me Uncle Halifa was acting in good faith at the time as he later put it, to do a “damage limitation”. Legal luminaries can clarify this section if they so wish, but who in his right mind in the Gambia will attempt to file a law suit against Yahya in his den? Who? The constitution is put forward ideas that are based on the perfect environment. The changes that Halifa fondly commented about is not bearing any fruition since Yahya is ruling as he wish.
“In fact, the very reason why the regime is finding it difficult to come up with an Act of the National Assembly to prescribe the Local Government structures is because of the provisions in the constitution calling for the complete autonomy of local councils with elected chairpersons, unlike the Local Government under the 1970 constitution which made commissioners to be the chairpersons of councils and the councils to depend entirely on the Minister for Local Government and Lands for all decisions.” Halifa

I am sure the brother or sister who brought Halifa’s response is aware of the powers that Yahya has in interfering in the Gambia’s local governments any how he so wishes. A year or so ago, we all read how the parliament gave him powers to do as he like with the local government. So the constitution again is a lame duck. Autonomy, what autonomy?

“Suffice it to say, the independence of the Auditor General which isguaranteed under the 1997 Constitution which goes as far as to require theAuditor General to publish his or her findings for the notice of the generalpublic should the report submitted to the National Assembly be leftcollecting dust without discussion, clearly confirms that to have the 1997constitution was better than having no constitution at all, as Saul issuggesting or the 1970 constitution, as some were suggesting or be entirelyblank, as Hamjatta has chosen to be on the matter.” Halifa

Well, again did the president not refuse access to the orders of the then auditor general to audit the state house? The powers given to the auditor general have its limitations. She was smeared and later sacked in a very dishonourable manner. Which replacement will now attempt to audit sensitive government sectors? Finally, For the constitution to be credible and effective, the stipulation of term limit shouldn’t have been removed. Halifa and PDOIS are veterans in Gambian politics, they have put so much trust on the young Juntas. PDOIS should have differentiated themselves and boycott the subsequent elections and ask other parties to do the same, whilst pursuing an agenda for redress on the tampered constitution. PDOIS should have also printed leaflets and make efforts in informing Gambians about the deformed nature of the constitution. Banking on a united opposition is a high hope that only sincere efforts and prayer can resolve. Even that may not be
 enough to remove yahya.

“No political figure raised an army to overthrow them. Hence, the otheroption had to be pursued. Needless to say, those who took a country by forceof arms did not hesitate to use all the means at their disposal to retainpower. This is why our position is that the 1996/97 elections were a crisismanagement strategy so that an environment can be created under which allthe institutions can be built to ensure free and fair election under theSecond Republic. This has been our position.”. Halifa

 Nothing has change in the front of using arms to chase the opponents of Yahya. History keep repeating itself. Halifa may now have new answers to some of his responses to Saul and Hamjatta. As i said, i did not read the questions pose to Halifa, so i cannot comment beyond this point.
suntou.