GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 19:06:27 +0000
Brother Gassama, thanks for your thoughts regarding the state of our nation.
  However, what is the point you're trying to make here?  I know you
understand that in matters of nation building, certain things are standard
upon which to build upon.  One does not get points for building schools,
hospitals, drum up business, provide safe and clean water, etc.  These
belong to ground zero and anything less is unacceptable.  I believe you also
understand that the voices raised against this government believes that we
should be ahead of where we are today as a nation.  Gambians are past the
point of comparing Jammeh to Jawara, for that is not feeding the poor,
healing the sick, and improving our living standard as a people.  One takes
a move for the better and not the worst.  With a new administration,
Gambians expected a Gambia against corruption and nepotism; freedom of
expression for all; better standard of living; reduction in poverty etc.

On the contrary, there is massive looting of our coffers and all one needs
to do is be a griot to the powers to be preferred for a position.  The
private press, opposition sympathizers, students and anyone dare to speak up
is muzzled.  Our people are poorer as I write - not you Gassama and myself,
and the few well off (Gambian Standard) folks, but the mass of Gambians
without education; that are unemployed; that are sick; that cannot provide
food for their families, let alone pay D500 to attend a "Praise Singing
Buffet", etc..  That is what some of us are talking about - improving the
lives of those at the bottom.  You also know that folks on this list visit
Gambia regularly and for people to assume that folks do not know the reality
in that country is far from the truth.  Most of the private development you
talked about is funded by these very folks you do battle with on this list.
The reason why you do not have a riot on your doorstep today is partly
because Gambians on the outside are funding the survival of the masses of
our population.  I know you know all these things.  As Gambians, you and I
should not champion the cause of anyone, not even the President, but a
better Gambia for all.  Individuals come and go, but the nation remains.  I
respect your vision and your enthusiasm in the development of our nation,
but I also hope that you address our short comings with the same vigor as
you do our strengths.  None of us on the outside and you on the ground are
paid to sit on our keyboards to discuss the state of our nation.  I know
countless others out here that think that anything Gambian is a lost cause
and therefore, do not bother subscribing to the L or even try to relate to
our plight.  They are living comfortable lives and Gambia is the last thing
they care about.  It is not that they do not have a keyboard.  They just do
not care.  The one thing we all on this list have in common is that we care.
  If you feel that Gambia has arrived and another Gambian feels that we
ought to do much better, I see no reason to think that the latter's logic is
twisted.  Let's build upon what we have in common.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou