GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:13:08 -0500
From The Observer

Jammeh receives diplomats

The State House for the past weeks been inundated with courtesy-calls in
succession as diplomats and consular corps last Thursday moved to endorse
President Jammeh following his victory in the last Presidential election .

President Jammeh in brief statement, commended them for accepting the
Gambian people’s verdict. "This is what democracy is all about. If you
cannot accept the truth and the will of the people, you are not qualified to
be called a democrat and I would want the Gambian people to see for
themselves who are true friends of The Gambia because when you criticise me,
it wouldn’t hurt me, knowing that it is from a friend and the criticism is
genuine. But it hurts me and becomes unacceptable that you criticise me
knowing that you are not a friend," he said.

Commenting on the recent Presidential election, President Jammeh reiterated
that since 1996, Gambian elections have always been free and fair. "In 1996,
there were observers from all countries that are absent here today. But
realising that the APRC have won and it was against their wish, they gave
the international community the impression that the elections were not fair.
The same voter pattern and system is used, but this time around, we made it
very clear that we can no longer bank on the Commonwealth and the British.
We invited everybody to come, French, American and Independent observers
whose integrity cannot be questioned and we decided to open The Gambia to
all media houses.

As a result, you can hear from the comments that the elections were free and
fair but we will help to improve. We don’t need anybody’s help. Our election
is the best in the world, for it is very free, fair and transparent. They
have nothing to teach or tell us," Jammeh noted.

President Jammeh emphasised that the sovereignty and independence of The
Gambia must be respected and also vowed that the peace and stability of the
country could never be compromised under any circumstances. "If you hide
behind political campaign to create felony, you will be arrested and the
police will continue their investigation, for the laws of The Gambia are
neither suspended nor abrogated. There were five political parties in this
country and only one party wanted to bring about anarchy in this country. As
the head of state, I will not accept that". Jammeh assured the diplomats
that The Gambia would remain peaceful and stable, "because what we wish for
mankind is peace, stability and love.

The Gambia may be small but we have a big heart and if humanity should
follow and listen to us, we will make this world a better place for mankind.
Just like our election, if all countries follow Gambia’s pattern and system
of voting, we cannot have controversy over elections. Gambians have proven
and would always prove that big things come from small things". President
Jammeh thanked the diplomats for accepting the Gambian people’s verdict and
for standing by justice. "If we do wrong, criticise us and we will be very
happy and if we do right, come back and tell us. We wouldn’t be surprised
that those who were making big noise up to now never said anything about our
election even though the whole world said it was free and fair" he said.

Speaking earlier, the SoS for Interior, Ousman Badjie, who was overseeing
Foreign Affairs, said The Gambia had demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt
and also proved those sceptics wrong that though small, "we are mature
people who can go through a very peaceful and transparent election". SoS
Badjie called on the diplomats, especially those from European countries, to
always confirm with government authorities certain ‘misinterpretations’ by
the opposition parties concerning alleged harassment of their party
militants in order to have the official version before sending their
reports. "Find out to know exactly what went wrong and where. Anybody
arrested within these period have infringed the Public Order Act and the
police have the mandate and order to apprehend offenders and take them
before the courts of law".

Also speaking, SoS Singhateh said the Gambian people have spoken in a clear
language and it was very obvious not only to the Gambian people but to "you
in our country and to the whole world that not only was the election
extremely transparent and well managed, but the choice of the people was
Jammeh". SoS Singhateh said it had been difficult during the transition, not
being fully accepted by some members of the international community.
"Although it had been a frustration to some of us, we proved to ourselves
that there is a new wind blowing across Africa with the new leadership and
it is here to stay".

SoS Singhateh appealed to the diplomats to assist Jammeh to build a better
Gambia to serve as an example "so that the world would be able to appreciate
your efforts," he said. For his part, the dean of the diplomatic and
consular corps, Morikeh Fofanah, congratulated The Gambia for a peaceful and
well organised election. "The Gambians have demonstrated once more that
indeed they are also people with imagination, respect for rule of law and
can do things that even bigger nations have failed to do and I am happy that
the opposition have conceded defeat which is unusual in Africa". Ambassador
Fofanah noted that contrary to stereotypical statements, democracy can be
practiced in the smallest states in Africa.

Other speakers included Mariano Lores of Cuba, Ndiougha Ndiage of Senegal,
Abel Coeluo de Mendonca of Guinea Bissau and Ahmed Mohammed Ghadhi of
Mauritiania. Present at the ceremony were secretaries of state and secretary
general, Office of the President, Julia Joiner.