GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:48:11 -0400
News I am getting from Gambia is very positive. Contrary to the falsity APRC
mental midgets want to perpetuate here, the Decree 89 politicians (OJ
included) are poised to join a United Opposition. Going by the reports and
negotiations that were in place BEFORE the ‘lifting’ of the ban, these
politicians are NOT putting out any conditions in front of their impending
union with the current Opposition leaders. Contrary to what APRC want us to
believe, OJ subscribes to the idea of an Opposition Alliance, as he believes
that “all hands should be available to kick Jammeh out”.

As Hamjatta said, rather than second-guessing these politicians, let us
encourage them to take their rightful positions in our midst. I again
reiterate my calls to the current leaders on the ground to aggressively go
after these Decree 89 politicians. Let us NOT buy into the APRC propaganda
and alienate these Decree 89 politicians. Some in the APRC have begun to
smell the coffee. I read somewhere today that Yankuba Touray was threatening
Jawara with a Commission of Inquiry investigation if the latter returned to
the country. This is ridiculous and laughable. This just goes to show that
these people are beginning to realize how the ‘lifting’ of this ban has
backfired in their faces; another nail in Yaya’s coffin. What can the
kangaroo courts do to Jawara now that they could not do in his absence?
Haven’t this government already confiscated all of Jawara’s properties?
Yankuba Touray knows that this is just an empty threat to preempt the
inevitable: the Opposition (Decree 89 and current politicians) coming
together to defeat Yaya. What Touray does not seem to realize is that the
Opposition already took that into consideration. What did Touray think OJ
was referring to when the latter said that they were going to encourage
Jawara to return and provide him with adequate ‘security’? Gambians know
that when Yaya said that people are free to partake in partisan politics,
the vermin does NOT mean a word he is saying. The moment he realizes that
power is slipping away from him, he will resort to intimidation and thuggery
to steal the elections.

Like Hamjatta, I also believe that all the Decree 89 politicians belong in
the Opposition. Low-lives like Buba Baldeh that wanted to join the APRC were
NOT hindered by Decree 89. We should welcome these politicians and show them
that the current Opposition leaders are worthy of their support. Let us NOT
listen to APRC propaganda that the Opposition is going to be split to the
advantage of Yaya who clearly CANNOT win the majority of the votes. That
propaganda is NOTHING more than wishful thinking from APRC stalwarts that
are in denial. That wish is very far from what is actually going on in
Gambia.

There are NO secret meetings and plots aimed at disuniting the Opposition.
These are just APRC lies. On the contrary, old opponents like Assan Musa
Camara and Jawara are talking now about a comeback. SM Dibba is also talking
to Assan Musa Camara. OJ is also receptive to the idea of PPP supporting a
United Opposition to get rid of Yaya. That is the stage we are at. All the
Political Parties in the country (except APRC of course) agree in principle
that they need to come together to defeat the APRC. We have to go for the
overkill and bring all the Parties together to register a resounding victory
come October 2001. There is no way Yaya can steal the elections if the
Opposition comes together now, in light of the ‘lifting’ of the ban imposed
by Decree 89.
KB