GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Isatou B. Jallow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 10:39:55 +0100
Matarr:

I didn't know the part of the brother being together with a Swedish woman but
I do know that some of them do have Scandinavian wives/girlfriends. I'll get
the tape but I don't think anything would make sense of this tragic incident.

Ginny:

You've done the right thing and I think you should be proud of yourself. I
know that lot of people see Islam as a religion that oppresses women but I
think that some muslim leaders give that impression. Since this tragic
incident, Imams have been quoted and shown on tv saying that the Norwegian
society and it's culture is immoral (I wonder what they are doing here then).
Some muslim leaders said that they wouldn't allow their daughters to marry a
non muslim, giving the impression that muslim girls don't have any say in
that. We've seen rich men from muslim countries going to the so called western
countries and having fun with alchohol and women whiles in their countries
women are not even allowed out unaccompanied. In Afhanistan, women were forced
to quit their jobs and stay home,  all in the name of Islam. These double
standards contribute lots in the misinterpretation of Islam. It's really sad
that it's women that suffer most. The best thing is to read and as you said,
know your rights as a muslim woman.

Habib:

Thanks for the reply. this is what I try to tell my peopel, that it's to do
with culture/tradition. I just needed some clarification because I am no
expert when it comes to Islam. I still have lots to read and learn.

Isatou