GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 22:45:32 EST
Malang,
Thanks for elaborating on the issue of whether Nkrumah should  be classified as a dictator or not.  I am far from an Krumah expert, but the legacy he left for Africa suggests that he was far from an absolute dictator.  The meaning of dictator in Webster's is as follows:
 "one ruling absolutely and often oppressively"
Nkrumah did not have absolute control throughout his tenure.  Therefore, to call him a dictator is perhaps unjustified.  Nevertheless, as Amat Demba rightfully said, there was a particular period in his tenure when he outlawed all political parties, and detained political prisoners for no reason.  These uncharacteristic actions were dictated by the fact there were several assassination attempts on his life and this led him to become, understandably, a paranoid, lonely figure that did not trust anyone.  I am also sure that there were many other extenuating circumstances that led him to his dictator-like decrees.

Malam, I am sure you are more of an expert in this field, so your extra input would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to part 2 of your piece.