GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2006 11:20:16 +0100
                                  M. M. Secka: A Tribute-Professor Abdoulaye Saine
         BY Professor  Abdoulaye Saine

  M. M. Secka: A Tribute

Modou Musa Secka, (a.k.a. M.M.) departed this world unexpectedly on Monday, March 20, 2006 to the utter dismay and sadness of those who knew and loved him dearly. He was the consummate Renaissance Man- broadcaster, journalist, actor, and humorist, play-wright and budding novelist. What he lacked in physical statue, he more than compensated for with talent and a bigger than life heart. He was a gentle soul, a loving parent and husband as well as a loyal friend who was generous with his time and always eager to give and entertain. An eternal optimist, he saw the best in people.

  Professor Saine,
  a great mind

I first met M.M. in late 1962 during our first year at Armitage High School. Even then, at a tender age, he displayed a worldly sophistication and an uncanny flare and ability for drama. As I recall it now, he joined us late at Armitage because he had spent his summer holiday in Bamako,Mali. This at a time when the bulk of his provincial classmates in Form one, never ventured outside their villages. M.M. quickly distinguished himself as an actor and humorist. His love of a good joke was surpassed  only by his ability to tell them, which left his audience and especially his friends in joyous laughter. This was to serve him well in his varied future careers because in the course of his life, he reinvented himself and adapted to changing career circumstances and opportunities. M.M. wastruly a genius with multiple talents who loved life and lived it zestfully. He accomplished in his relatively short life what would have, otherwise, taken others (less gifted) two or more life
 spans to accomplish.

By the end of his life, M.M. became a national celebrity who was loved and admired for his sense of humor on radio and television and respected for  his writing and analytical skills as a journalist. He cared deeply forpeople and was one who never responded in the negative to a request. He remained to the end an avid optimist and believer in the redemptive and inherent goodness of people. He lived a life that was unconstrained by circumstances, always inspired by the promise of better times yet to come.

  When I saw him for the last time in January 2006, over lunch at the home he shared with one of his wives, Amie, his spirit was irrepressible,despite failing health. M.M. was not a wealthy man or a powerful politician, yet he was all these because of his genuine love and concern for people- he was truly a man of the people. In his sojourn on earth he touched many lives; we are better as a nation and a people because M.M. had lived. I will always remember his disarming and gentle smile and most of all, his kind gaze. Both concealed and on occasion revealed a serious and deeply introspective disposition.

Farewell and rest in peace my friend, keep them laughing in Heaven as you did on Earth. And while you are at it, tell Katim, Mariama, Silla, Mam  Mbye, Mam Yusu, Badou, Jobbs,Mbulla, Oumie, Halifa and Julia that we miss and pray for them.

Professor Abdoulaye Saine
Hamilton, OH, USA

Abdoulaye Saine

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 (Archive on Tuesday, May 30, 2006)
Posted by PANDERRYMBAI  Contributed by PANDERRYMBAI
    Return
        Rating:           [input] 1   [input] 2   [input] 3   [input] 4   [input] 5    Comments:      Save
          Current Rating:  4.50                        Rating:   3    MAY ALLAH CONTINUE TO BLESS JAMMEH AND THE HUMBLE GAMBIANS, AND MAY ALL THOSE EVIL WHO DOES NOT WANT TO SEE THAT PERISH            Rating:   5    Secka, you left us by body, but your spirit lives on. A real good eulogy.            Rating:   5    Great tribute Dr. Saine. I grew up as a young fula man always laughing about how M.M presented his news. He knew his language well. Rest in Peace            Rating:   5

      Copyright 2006 (c) Freedom Newspaper, LLC.   :  Powered By PointClick  :  Terms Of Use  :  Privacy Statement [input]   [input]   [input]

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい