GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 18:41:37 +0000
Uh! Uh! Uh!

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou

Imam Fatty Calls For Circumcision

The State House Imam, Alhagie Abdoulie Fatty, has called on Gambian
communities to circumcise their children, saying that the ongoing anti FGM
campaign is West- motivated, calculated to undermine Gambia’s cultural norms
and values. The Imam, who has made a name for himself for his stance in
favour of FGM, accused the West of sponsoring certain non governmental
organisations in the country in a bid to propagate an anti FGM campaign.
“The whole campaign against FGM is Western motivated, because, for example,
if you look at the NGOs fighting against FGM, they are sponsored by the
West. It is aimed at undermining our traditional beliefs,” said Imam Fatty.

Imam Fatty said female circumcision would help to reduce the sexual passion
of women and those engaged in the practice have very good reasons of doing
it. “I am appealing to the communities doing female circumcision to continue
with the practice, because it is recognised by Islam. The only thing is they
should abide by the teachings of sharia and do it the way it is compatable
with the teachings of Shaira’ said the Imam, while calling on Gambain
authorities to create clinics that will help to take care of children during
circumcision.

The Imam added that female circumcision has been going on for the past
thousand years and called on those opposed to the practice to give peace to
communities so that they could continue with the practice which has been
recognised by Islam. Reacting to the story Imam Baba Leigh, who is in charge
of religious affairs at the Gambia Committee Against Traditional Harmful
practices or (Gamcotrap), said: “I am yet to be convinced that female
circumcision is a Western motivated thing to undermine our religion and our
traditional beliefs in the sense that not all Muslims are doing it and it is
not a religious injunction.

There is no proof that the Prophet and his family has practised it or he
advised people to practise it.” While conceding that female circumcision is
a deeply rooted culture, Imam Leigh said the fight against FGM requires
vigorous campaign. He observed that FGM has a negative impact on the lives
of children, noting that some of these kids exposed to the practice usually
experienced a lot of pain and trauma. He added some of the instrument used
to circumcise the children are not sterilised and could be deadly to
children.

“Cutting the genital part of a woman, is Islamically unacceptable simply
because medical personnels know the harmful side of it, and with this
generation at that when we are talking about HIV/AIDS and all the stds. It
is more than the word dangerious, so if you are encouraging people to
circumcise their children under this circumstances really, it is imortant
for people to review your position in the society. Do you love society? the
Kanifing East Imam asked.