GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 08:25:59 -0700
Greetings,

There are several groups in the Gambia working on this issue.  GAMCOTRAP
has been doing educational work for many years and I know their own Isatou
Touray is on this very list.  I don't know if they have e-mail in the
Gambia, but they have an office in Bakau New Town (unless this has changed
since I was last in the Gambia in 1998) 14 Garba Jahumpa Road, phone 49 74
16, FAX 49 59 23.

The group doing "alternative rituals" is APGWA which has an office in
Talinding (Sobeya Skills Center), I am not sure of the current phone
number there.

If anyone is interested in reading my account of the alternative rituals
and of the history of this debate in Gambia, it is included in an edited
volume called "Female 'Circumcision' in Africa:  Culture, Controversy and
Change" (Lynn Rienner 2000).
Best, Ylva Hernlund