GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malamin Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 15:48:06 +0000
I Love this newpaper: The Point

The Point
November 26, 2001
Hallo? The Opposition … Hallo? This is our message

We want to recognise the right of Sheriff Mustapha Dibba to described the
presidential election free and fair more than a month after the election. He
made the statement at State House after an audience with President Jammeh.
But one can safely conclude that they didn’t say much because many people
were around, in fact to our great surprise: the VP, Baba, Fatou and the
others the camera quickly swept away. We would have thought that following
the official photograph/filming the others would allow them to have a tete a
tete. We were not surprised when Dibba told the public media on the ground
that he cannot decide anything without his militants as far as the prospects
of closer ties are concerned. But the bad tongues are saying that Dibba is
gone to the APRC. Time will tell.
UDP sources speak of a plan to imprison their leader citing an amendment
that would soon be tabled in Parliament. They say that the amendment seeks
to remove the right to bail for people accused of murder. When challenged
that, that is impossible, as a law cannot be retroactive, they claimed that
the planners rely on the indemnity bill which was retroactive. When told
that retroactively could be contemplated in that case but not in this one,
they maintained they say they are ready to deal with the issue.

THE OPPOSITION PARTIES HAVE SO FAR FAILED TO REACT TO THE OFFER BY CONCERNED
GAMBIANS IN THE DIASPORA UNLESS THAT WAS DONE WITHOUT PUBLICITY. AS THE
RULING PARTY IS BUSY PREPARING ITSELF FOR THE PARLIAMENTARY ELECTION,
OPPOSITION PARTIES ARE TAKING THEIR TIME AS NO SUSTAINED ACTIVITY IN THAT
REGARD HAD SO FAR BEEN REGISTERED. (Emphasis all mine)