GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:19:40 PDT
Hi folks!
This is taken from today's Weekend Observer, Gambia. Quite an interesting
interview.

Happy weekend.
Momodou Bojang
---------------

Weekend Observer. October 8 - 10, 1999

FACTS ON THE ARTIST: ELIE NACHIF

By Eric Orji

Production Gods like Quincy Jones, Teddy Riley, Dallas Austin, Jarmain Dupry
and Puff Daddy, sometimes become performers. But they never do it alone.
They either invite an extraordinary artist or sing with one of their
protégées as duet.

Quincy Jones used James Ingram on his song "Just Once", while Teddy Riley
does it with 3 other guys as Black Street. Puff Daddy is always in the
company of Mase, and Jarmain Dupry's first attempt was with his protégée, Da
Brat.

Elie Nachif, a versatile singer, producer and studio owner, is standing out
as a solo artist and producer with a long list of albums.
The handsome and charming dude who pilots the long-stride-throwing
Yellowgate Studios, simply made me happy and proud.

For years, he has never given anybody what he gave me. My very little heart
couldn’t carry the feeling of his acceptance, caring words and mature
approach to musical issues that I’ve been yearning to discuss with him. Elie
is too large to describe. Our discussion went thus:

Eric Orji:
When did you start music?

Elie Nachif:
(Laughs) I've been asked this question many times before and I would always
answer “on the day that I was born.”

Eric:
Did music in any way disturb your formal education?

Elie:
No, I simply made music one of my subjects.

Eric:
When did you go professional?

Elie:
Some years back when I was in London.

Eric:
Who taught you all the production tricks that brought about your sensitive
listening ears and your unique style of fusing singing with music?

Elie:
It came about naturally from an inner desire to be original and creative.
In music and other forms of art, you do not have to strictly follow laid
down styles and rules. It pays to be intuitive sometimes. Just follow your
instincts.

Eric:
You have to your credit many high quality and strikingly attractive radio
and television jingles here in The Gambia and abroad. How do you feel when
people describe them as excellent?

Elie:
I really appreciate great comments. This helps me become even more
determined to improve and work harder at giving my best.

Eric:
Name a few notable and popular albums that you've been part of.

Elie:
That's a huge list, both, Gambian and Non-Gambian, I certainly would not
want to offend anybody by mentioning only a few and not the others.

Eric:
Why the name Yellowgate?

Elie:
(Big laughter) Because the gate is Yellow! (More laughter).

Eric:
How do you feel about the non-appreciative attitude that we always hear of,
concerning some of the young artists you have helped?

Elie:
Ingratitude is a very common human weakness but it is most disappointing
when it comes from institutions or from people you would expect better from.
  I would not go the extra mile with an artist who does not appreciate my
sweat and contribution to his or her own success.

Eric:
There are rumours that Yellowgate will soon be sold. How true are they?

Elie:
Selling a few items here and there to upgrade the standard of the studio
does not mean selling off or closing down the studio.  And even if the
entire studio was to be sold, it would only mean re-investing in a bigger
and better venture with Yellowgate.

Eric:
You have had your own album?

Elie:
One…Broken Promises.

Eric:
When was it released?

Elie:
1996.

Eric:
What impact did it make?

Elie:
GREAT!  It was in the papers for a few weeks.  I appreciate the support from
many people, both here in The Gambia, and abroad.

Eric:
Do you intend doing more albums for yourself?

Elie:
Definitely yes!  Although at present I am quite busy working on other
artists’ albums.

Eric:
Have you ever performed in a concert?

Elie:
Yes, many times when I was in the UK, which I enjoyed very much, but I
prefer what I am doing now, working away from the spotlights!

Eric:
People say you are shy and don't like publicity, why?

Elie:
People are free to say what they feel but that does not necessarily make
them 100% right. We all love a good reputation with the public but it is
also important for people to respect other people's choices. The choice to
appear on TV is the same as the choice not to appear on TV, for example. I
prefer to work away in my studio. It keeps me very busy. It is a real bother
when people try to get you to do what you do not choose to do or stop you
from doing what you would really like to do...even the law frowns on such
behaviour (naughty smile).

Eric:
Studio biz...is it a money-making venture in The Gambia?

Elie:
In The Gambia?  Not really. We are still in the budding stages in the music
and entertainment business. And so at the moment it is more of investing in
helping to promote Gambian-produced music at home and abroad than making the
same kind of money as our counter-parts from studio business in other more
developed countries.  Hopefully, when things improve and we begin to talk of
royalties and copyrighting, then, perhaps we may start making money.  But
for now, we need to go one step at a time.

Eric:
Why did you choose The Gambia?

Elie:
Why not The Gambia? I’m a Gambian and I’m proud to be here doing what I’m
doing, no matter how tough it gets from time to time.

Eric:
What other ventures, apart from music, are you into?

Elie:
I am fully committed to music.

Eric:
In your personal view, what is the Gambian industry like?

Elie:
Complex. I'd rather not try to figure it out.

Eric:
Thank you for your time Elie. It has been a real pleasure talking to you.

Elie:
You’re very welcome. The pleasure was all mine.