GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:11:29 GMT
Beran,
You are right on the money. Guei was a problem but he was not the only
problem or even the main problem. Political observers agree on one point and
that is Guei aggravated an already existing problem of exclusionary politics
called Ivoirite by pushing a Constitution which formalised and legalised
that xenophobic policy.  If the claims that Liberian elements were
introduced into the scene prove correct then Guei succeeded in further
complicating an already complex political atmosphere. For more detailed
analysis of the Liberian factor, please go to the following link:
allafrica.com/stories/printable/20001030018.htm  The ethnic, regional and
religious divide has been there before Guei came to the scene as head of
state.  I do not agree, however, with those calling for an immediate re-run
of the presidential elections.  In fact, Ouattara seems to be concentrating
his efforts on the upcoming Parliamentary elections. I believe this is the
way to go. Gbagbo has also made some conciliatory gestures by agreeing to an
International Enquiry into the recent massacre of civilians allegedly by the
security forces. He has also called for a "Truth and Peace Commission" to be
established although the Terms of Reference of the Commission is unclear as
at now. Therefore, pushing for a re-run at this juncture would be, in my
view, a serious miscalculation given the positives moves by all parties
concerned in recent days. The diplomatic community in CI seem to be
supporting a delay in calling for immediate elections until, at least, after
the Parliamentary elections.
Sidi Sanneh