GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:52:52 EST
Hello Ylva,
         I have always and will continue be an ardent opponent of FGM.
Personally, I want to thank you and congratulate you for your grandiose
efforts to fight this barbaric practice. YOU ROCKS!
         One thing is clear reading the exchanges on the list is that
Gambians
share a different paradigm when it comes to its application and
contradictions.
When educated people want to quantify the benefits of an openly proven theory
that FGM has no medical significant to the millions of victims of this
dehumanizing
practice, it makes me wonder if it is the results of the research they are
worried about or the fear of shifting paradigms.
         I have ordered your book to help support the brave cause you and
your colleagues are doing to help end this form of abuse to particularly,
young women who are the victims of this practice. If people like Mr. Conteh
disagrees with the tools and methodologies used in your research, I advice
him to conduct his own studies and brief us with his results.
        Finally, please continue your qualitative approach to this issue. I
will send you my thoughts about the book once I read it.

GO GIRL,
Sincerely,
Matarr Sajaw