GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 13:13:06 EDT
KB:

You seem to be desperately grasping for straws now.  Brother, we are one the
same side of the fence concerning our opposition to the APRC.  Thus, there is
no point in labelling me as a distraction like Joke.  Joke is not the issue
here, the next upcoming elections is what should concern us the most.  Lets
focus on that for now!

For you to compare my arguments against the 'vote-buyout' theory with Joke's
garbage (as you call it), is utter rubbish.  Show me where we raised the same
points?  My ideas were born out of thinking independently and looking at the
numbers and not subscribing to hearsay and Radio Kang Kang.

Your point on statistical analysis is way off the mark.  These were numbers
from the 1997 by-elections and not the 1996 general elections.  For you to
act like I do not know the difference is slightly perturbing.  From these
numbers, two distinct unmistakable facts remain:
1.  Voter turnout has never been great in any region in The Gambia.

2.  The number of absentee votes in the by-elections of Kiang is
approximately the same as the amount during the 1997 by-elections.

These were the facts I used not Radio Kang Kang or 'he said or she said'.
Basing my arguments based on these facts is a very legitimate tactic.  The
fact remains that these numbers have nothing to do with Serrekunda which was
used initially to prove a point.  Now tell me again how these derived
statistics weaken my theory?  Should we used unsubstantiated reports as you
have instead?

On the '100% absentee vote for UDP issue' you miss the point completely.
Maybe this is because of your disdain for my fuzzy math.  But the following
is true:
Tallying all 1000 votes to UDP's count, would be to assume a 100% voter
turnout.
This fact also remains:
Even giving them 801 votes, resulting in a 1 vote victory, would be assuming
a 95% turnout.  The numbers show that there has NEVER been a 95% turnout in
the history of Gambian elections.
Therefore to claim that all 1000 absentees were bought out is again taking
the art of speculating to unprecedented heights.  These derivations were not
made in a vacuum as you think.

On the tribalism issue, this will always be a factor whether we like it or
not.  I sincerely hope that the UDP comes up with alternative strategies to
combat this horrible tactics.

On the 22nd movement, a spattling of thugs armed with machetes and spears
cannot ride into Kiang and terrorize the whole population.  They will be run
out of town.

Dampha, unfortunately your whole argument is based on unsubstantiated facts
and this is what really bothers me.  The opposition can do better.

The opposition has to come up with strategies to fight low voter turnout due
to apathy which has always been a problem throughout the country.

The opposition has to come up with a clear and defined campaign message which
will counter the tribalism and dirty campaign issue.

There should be an additional voter drive to get more votes.

Any additional suggestions are welcome.  No more voter-buyout theories,
please.  We can do better than this.