GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 19:45:14 +0000
Folks, here is an interesting article by Mark Steele of The Independent of
UK. I hope you find it interesting.

Have a good weekend, Gassa.

THE BEAT GOES ON

What was amazing about the Brazilian bar was it was so Brazilian. As you
entered the Bar Salsa in Charing Cross Road you were handed a pair of
maracas and a whistle, and I wondered why English pubs showing the game
couldn't do the equivalent and give all the supporters a pair of spoons.

And straight away everyone was dancing. Brazilians are even Brazilian at
seven in the morning. For a moment the salsa beat thumped in time to Alan
Hansen's hand gestures on the giant screen, and they carried on dancing
right up to the kick-off.

They even danced to their national anthem, which may be the difference
between the two nations; it being physically impossible to dance to God Save
The Queen.

The one exception was when the camera focused on Beckham and the beat
paused, to be replaced with a playful-ish jeer. "Ha ha," said Ricky, who
stood next to me draped in the Brazil colours, "these girls may boo but they
all want to marry him".

Then Michael Owen scored. Hundreds of faces bobbed and twitched with the
anxious expressions of passengers on a plane during heavy turbulence. The
room spluttered with a sense of "I'm sure it's going to be all right – isn't
it?"

More distraught was a woman behind me waving her arms and pulling her long
black hair, screaming and jumping little steps with both feet, her eyes
watering with desperation and looking like someone on a news report from a
war zone whose house has just been demolished.

Even though the room was so packed, the tension at the start of the second
half was so great that no one could stand still, so everyone seemed to
change place once a minute. Until that looping free-kick that will have
David Seaman on a couch at the age of 70 while a shrink says: "You've got to
try to let go of the guilt, David."

Now the confidence was restored to normal proportions, only stalling for a
moment when Ronaldinho was sent off. At that point a chant thundered round
the room, clearly directed at the referee, comprising five or six Portuguese
words in about 15 syllables. "What are you chanting?" I asked Claeton.
"Cheat," he told me, before adding: "See, on those stairs, such beautiful
girls."

From then on flowed the rumbling certainty of imminent victory as England
fizzled away. Just after the final whistle a Scotsman peered straight into
my eyes and said "I had a tenner on Owen scoring first and Brazil winning
3-1, so I'm gutted." Then he left the perfect comic pause and yelled "But
not as gutted as you ... haaaaa."

And then everyone resumed the dancing. I asked five people what would have
happened if Brazil had lost and they all said, "We would have danced and had
a party anyway," which I'm not sure is accurate.

Colin, a Londoner clad in Brazilian yellow, grabbed me at the bar. "Here
mate, you're a comedian, come and cheer up my mate Tony," he said.

And between us we agreed that it was better to lose like this than like the
Irish, who seemed to think that because they've often felt they'd be better
off moving to a different country, their penalties might be better off
booted into another country as well.

Colin needed no cheering up at all. He's about to get Brazilian citizenship,
and as his Brazilian wife rang from Sao Paolo, he related the phone call.
"She says bad luck England." Then he added: "My mother-in-law also says bad
luck England."

Then he told us his father-in-law was coming on, but couldn't speak a word
of English. A couple of seconds later Colin had evidently bridged the
language gap. "He says Beckham is wanker."

"Oh well, bollocks," said Tony, as he picked up his maracas and went to have
a dance.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve.    -Mike- Levitt-