GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 23:34:36 -0700
Hi folks,

I came across this press release at the African Development Bank Web site.  Two
issues come to my mind.  First, is there a typo in the release or do they really mean
that the funds are "emergency relief" even though this is 2001, and the floods
happened in 1999?

Two, what exactly is wrong with these international financial institutions that go
around giving grants to the likes of President Jammeh's government?  This is a guy
who is yet to explain exactly what happened to the proceeds from the sale of Nigerian
crude oil deal that we only knew about when it landed in a London High Court.
Publicly-available court records show that the proceeds from the sale of the crude
oil were put in a Swiss bank account that President Jammeh was reported to own.  This
President Jammeh guy has squandered $1 million (US) in two equal payments to the same
Public Relations firm in the US, even though students shot in last year's April
demonstrations continue to languish in The Gambia, after the government failed to pay
for their medical treatment in Egypt.

And AfDB would turn around and say they are our development partners?  I don't think
so.  They certainly are not being helpful to The Gambia by throwing money at a
government that is demonstrably corrupt, inept, and above all, has no respect for
human rights and the rule of law.  This grant, as far as I'm concerned, is a huge
stain on the AfDB.

By the way, here's the link to the press release at the AfDB site.  The release
itself follows the link.

Have a great week(end) and best wishes.

Katim

http://www.afdb.org/knowledge/pressreleases2001/adb_am2001_gb_emergency_29may2001e.ht

Press Release [No. COMU///01]

AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK: SIGNING OF A US $ 500,000 GRANT AGREEMENT FOR THE FLOOD
VICTIMS IN GAMBIA

VALENCIA, 29 MAY 2001 - His Excellency Mr. Famara L. Jata, Gambia Secretary of State
for Finance and Economic Affairs and Mr. Cyril Enweze, Vice-president, Operations of
the African Development Bank Group (ADB) signed today a grant agreement of 500,000 US
$ for emergency relief to flood victims in Gambia.

The objective of the emergency operation is to assist the flood-affected communities
of the Gambia to cope with the flood damages incurred during the rainy season of
1999. It particularly seeks to rapidly rehabilitate the agriculture infrastructure as
well as supply the agricultural inputs needed to produce food for the victims of the
flood as well as provide safe drinking water. The project will involve urgent repairs
of dykes and spillways in the lowlands of the worst affected areas. It will also
involve the purchase of long floating rice seeds and other inputs as well as the
rehabilitation of 35 and treatment of 116 wells.

Bank Group operations in Gambia started in 1971. To date, the Group has committed a
total of US$ 195.26 million on 30 operations out of which about US$ 151.48 million
have been disbursed.

* 1 UC= 1,26579 $ EU au 1/05/01
* 1UA = US$ 1.26579 as at May 1st, 2001
Media Contact:
K. Saiki (225) 20 20 41 18 - Email: [log in to unmask]
Samba Chifwambwa - S. Chifwambwa @afdb.org
Technical Contact:
M. M. Sabri [log in to unmask]
Tel (225)20 20 54 39 - Fax (225) 20 20 59 01