GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Sall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 03:45:14 -0700
TAJUDEEN's THURSDAY POSTCARD 10-07-2003

I was determined to avoid any discussion on this page of anything

about President George Walker Bush's maiden safari to Africa. This is

because I honestly do not see any positive benefits to Africa or Africans in it.

Even the more hysterical trip by that master of political emotionalism,

Mr Feel good himself, Bill Clinton, in 1998, neither made Americans

Wiser about Africa nor Africans less suspicious of Americans.

I have been battling very hard not to abandone the African culture

of being ever so nice to visitors no matter how nasty they may be! But Bush

is hard work. He never misses an opportunity to disappoint. Just before he

left home he announced 'punishment' for 35 countries including African

ones (significantly South Africa that is on his itinerary) for refusing

to bow to his demand for impunity (sorry, immunity) for Americans (soldiers

and civilians alike) for any alleged crimes under the international

criminal court. With a visitor like that even people brought up on the motto of

'turning the other cheek' may find themselves tempted by the other

motto, 'even stephen'.

I had a temporary copmpromise in joining Madiba in saying 'this man

is not welcome by me' , even if our leaders are rolling out the red carpets

for him and those he was not directly blessing with his visit are

trooping on Executive safaris to meet him for photo opportunities in their best robes!

It is so sad how our leaders caryy on around western leaders like kids seeking autographs of film stars!

However friends in the Civil Society groups prevailed upon me that

we must seize the opportunity for some engagement. The East and Central

African Development NGO, Mwengo, consulted widely and came up with an open

letter to President Bush. Below are highlights from the letter. The full text is available at: www.Mwengo.org

You are also invited to append your name to it and support the

campaign to make the issues raised the basis of a relationship of

honesty, respect, full disclosure and devoid of patronising compassion.

Dear President Bush:

As your plane touches down in Dakar, Senegal, we welcome the

opportunity of your visit to examine the US Africa relationship and to establish ties

that are based on honesty, respect and a clear commitment to removing the structural

obstacles that impede Africa's development. We would like to raise the following issues

for your consideration. They are not new ones, but there is an opportunity, with your

visit, to act decisively and change the image and relationship of your Administration

with Africa.

The proposed visit to five African countries has been scheduled to

clash with the Second Heads of Summit meeting in Maputo, Mozambique. It is

unclear how the Administration could be so out of step with African

continental institutions by not seeking to attend this important meeting.

As arranged, the trip will rather serve as a distraction to the African

Union meeting.

We notice that your planning team has omitted those countries like

Tanzania and Kenya that have directly suffered from terrorist attacks against US interests and

citizens. This is odd given the tremendous cost that these countries have borne and continue

to bear as a result of their relationship with the US. Furthermore, the highly selective

programme excludes civil society and the business communities who could have offered

constructive and prepositional conversation around US foreign policy, aid and trade.

As constructed, the agenda appears to offer little else than a series Of photo opportunities

starting with Goree Island and ending in a Ugandan AIDS clinic with shots of our Presidents in between.

This trip may boost the Republican campaign image among the

African-American community before elections. However, it does very

little to boost confidence on the continent that this is a working visit

that will afford time and space for Africans to share their aspirations and

engage the Administration on the need for the US to change its policies and

practices toward Africa.

There is still time though should you choose to act on the

substantive issues we raise below.

Delivery not spin on HIV/AIDS is needed

While welcoming the public pledge of US$15 billion to a unilateral

US Global AIDS programmes, we note your Administration's request for

2004 is a miserly $450 million. Mr. Bush, where is the $15 Billion that you

have promised to fight AIDS in Africa and the Caribbean? Show us the

money!

The demand for the right to import and manufacture generic drugs is

a moral imperative. This trip would be an opportunity to express your

support for Africans to access cheap generic drugs and to promote women's

rights to control their own fertility.

Decrease uni-lateral militarisation, facilitate regional

peace-keeping

It can do this through cooperation and collaboration with existing

efforts such as the ECOWAS-sponsored peace conference in Liberia, the South

African-led peace efforts in Burundi and the United Nations and French-led

operations in the DRC.

At the same time, civil society organizations in Africa would like

to register their unequivocal opposition to the further militarisation

of the continent by the proposed setting up of new military bases in Africa

as well as the expansion of others, i.e. Djibouti. We call on the US to roll back the current plans to create "forward operating bases" on African soil and desist from promoting bi-lateral agreements that exempt both US and African citizens from prosecution under the International Criminal Court.

Why is Iraq's debt different from Africa's?:

Mr. Bush, will you announce US support for the unconditional

cancellation of Africa's debt while in Africa? If Iraqi's debt can be

cancelled, then surely there is nothing to stop you from doing the same for Africa.

Dumping is not Fair Trade

-------------------------

Africa's poverty is the direct consequence of the inability to

export agricultural commodities at fair prices and to access US

technologies.

We call on you to announce a moratorium on subsidies to US farmers,

desist from championing risky GM products and to take measures that will

enhance market access for Africa's agricultural products.

Democracy is a principle, not a matter of expediency:

African people across the continent are establishing and holding accountable democratic

governments. The practice of externally induced "regime change" as we

have seen in the recent past is not welcome. Africans reserve the right

to elect and/or recall their leaders through democratic processes.

We would have liked an opportunity to express these thoughts more

directly and hear your responses. However we note with concern that

the space for civil society in the US to comment on and/or critique your

administration policies has shrunk considerably. We are not surprised that

civil society in Africa as well did not feature in your itinerary.

We deeply share the pain and suffering of Americans resulting from

September 11 events and the sense of urgency to bring this

insecurity to an end. However, we think that US-Africa relations cannot

be driven by the US War Against Terrorism or US interests in Africa as

an emerging market or as supplier of 15% of US oil.

We make these appeals because we believe there are obligations that

come with being the world's only super power. Furthermore, the people of

the US and Africa have a history that is intertwined. Crimes against

African humanity were conducted during slavery and during the cold war. In

that sense the US has an ethical burden to act in ways that exude

justice, human rights and a genuine respect for democracy. We ask not

for charity, we seek justice. We look to your trip to toact decisively