GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
kalilu camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:06:04 -0000
Dear Mr.Jagne,
I am thrilled at your derivatives if that is my exact sentiment summased.
I saw the tapes on the Sierra Leone war.The whole scenery left me numb
perplexed and teary just like that tape CRY FREEDOM. Indeed the modern
African child has the right to sob.
In my search for why, i ask some friends why diamonds are so expensive as
oppose to human lives.
But for the arrangement of the carbon atoms it is graphite at its very
best.This i believe is the stuff found in charcoal.
You will thing that the lives of our children will mean more.
I am sure they do.But it is very hard to explain this even to oneself
especially to the future.
Mr Jammehs trip to Sierra Leon could be very hard to explain as a
humantarian jesture given this complex.
After the fact what is a couple of thousand Leones to a child handicapped by
adult miscommunication....hardly anything.
Could this and other atrocities been avioded only God knows, what we know as
surviviors is that we can prevent such gross mistakes by
learning to compromise and work as brothers in opposition, for the common
good.
I do believe that the common losses we all assume in the end of a war is our
biggest opponent to tarkle.What i am trying to say is
we should one and all picture this kind of results and collectively
fight our personal urges to fight and do it in our power to make
peace.
I do commend this jesture by the un.Whilest the united nations is
in some very real respects our only hope in some national matters
they cannot due to certain consraints always bail us out.
I do believe that it is not too much for a people to ask that
their representatives be urthentic and to a certain degree give them their
basic human rights in exchange for the recognition of being
their representatives.
Dont some of us think that the whole group should be made aware
of the transactions done in their name?
How is it possible in such a tiny nation that we drop so deep in dept and
not a single soul can account for the loan collected there in?
How can there be such a high degree of human rights violations side by side
with this degree of public silence?
You will think that the uthenticity of our leader will be determined by us
as a nation.Will the united nations in all fairness assist in a free and
fair election in THE Gambia,one of the smallest African
nations? Or will they accept anyone who show up? Will Yaya Jammeh
graciously allow international observers in a free and fair election?
I think that real bravery is allowing justice to prevail.
Yaya had, coupled with four other Gambians what it took to overthrow
an overwhelmingly elected leader,he has the heart to unleased life bullets
at his younger brothers ,to imprison his friends,put in
jeoapady his comrades life but what remains to be seen is his courage to
face himself and let the majority of Gambians determine their own
destiny.But the uncertainties of such a daring move given what went down in
the last six years maybe too frightening even for the 'invisible soldier'!
Not only has "His Invisiblity" constantly cut off electricity and raise the
price the record highest in the world,now does he
see to it that we cannot talk on the phone by messing with the wires?
Everyone almost thought that Gamtel will be spared.

                                     karl