GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 07:41:05 -0500
© AFP - Jo'burg - "The polemics that rage in the (Middle East) region
undermine dialogue, and the error that has washed over it has given birth
to distrust ... the region is in need of a renewed dialogue" - Israeli
Foreign Minister Shimon Peres.

"If we had Nelson Mandela in the Middle East, we would have had peace" -
Peres

"While he was attacked by somebody else, he is my friend" - former South
African president Nelson Mandela, speaking of British Prime Minister Tony
Blair, accused by Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe of interfering in his
country.

"The summit will go down in history as a missed opportunity to deliver
energy to the 2-billion people on this planet with no access to energy
services, and as a failure to kickstart the renewable energy revolution
that is required to protect the climate." - WWF, Oxfam and Greenpeace.

"Simply because my people are hungry, that is no justification to give them
poison, to give them (genetically modified) food that is intrinsically
dangerous to their health" - Zambian President Levy Mwanawasa.

"If anybody can have a magic solution so that all the issues are being
dealt with together equitably, reasonably ... we are ready to co-operate
with the UN" - Iraq Deputy Pemier Tareq Aziz said of demands to let UN
weapons inspectors return.

"I have advised that Iraq accept the inspectors without any obstruction but
the group of inspectors must be properly composed. We can't accept any form
of imperialism or colonialism" - Mandela on the Iraqi crisis.

"Terrorist activities, regional conflicts, transborder crimes, rampant drug
trafficking and other problems remain quite serious. Fulfilling the
objective of sustainable development is still a long and ardous journey" -
Chinese Prime Minister Zhu Rongji.

"If we prove capable of showing a pioneering commitment, we shall create a
commmunity listened to around the world" - French President Jacques Chirac
talking to leaders of more than 50 Francophone nations.