GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ngorr Ciise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 08:46:38 +0000
In response Jali Gassa,

Jali Gassa: <<Let me tell you that what you are trying to sell here would
not be bought by me. Fact of the matter is that, under the PPP, education
for all was never in their vocabulary, plain and simple. The whole charade
was just a plain scam whereby ALL taxpayers' monies were used for the
education of the mainly privileged urban few at the detriment of the mainly
rural poor.>>

You are claiming that education in pre- 1994 Gambia was for the affluent
urbanite... let's pursue the logic of your silly argument: Consider your
social orgin and the education you've had. I assume you were educated up to
postgraduate level at the expense of Gambian taxpayers. Further, the
assumption is that you are not the son of affluent urbanites. Do you know
how many - including your silly self - this cap  fits very well? As Dampha
pointed out to you earlier, if we wish to start naming highly educated
Gambians from poor rustic origins who command a measure of influence in
Gambian society today, we won't having nothing else to do with ourselves for
the next two weeks.

You claim you understand the nuance of my key argument; but your last
correspondence shows that either you are playing dummy or simply got the
point but trying silly games to cover the ugly record of the APRC. My
central argument was and remains that education under the PPP was relatively
cheaper, more affordable and with quality to show for it than, say, under
the APRC with all the "school projects" they claim to have embarked upon
since 1994 to date. The reason why this is the case is because of the fact
that the average Gambian was economically better off under the PPP than he
was under the APRC. To date you have not been able to refute this argument.
All you do is regurgitate the same unadulterated garbage about Yaya building
more schools than Jawara. Who told miscreant halfwits like you that
accessible education means putting up infrastructures without the
prerequisite resources to effectuate the goals of basic education?
Accessible and general education at the basic level means - among other
things - that you have not only the basic infrastructure in place but, most
importantly, having the presrequisite resources to effectuate good and
general education. That means for education to play its all-important
socio-economic role in society, it has got to be affordable and deliver
quality as measured in academic standards. Under the APRC's watch, none the
above is the case with education: As Sanusi pointed out, education has not
only become more expensive for the average Gambia, but also dumbed down as
par when you compare today's academic standards with that of pre- 1994. This
was and remains the argument.