GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:41:20 +0100
Brother Oko D,

News of the death of Sir Lamin made me completely numb. It was a complete
shock that anyone with even half his energy should pass away this young.

Sir Lamin and I shared the same desk at Saint Augustine's from 3A through
5A. We giggled at Mrs. Senghore's emphasis on 'people on the move'  history,
mused at Father Cleary's monastic severity (he is now Bishop Cleary), and
tuned our ears hard at Father Murphy's narratives on the Biafra war - a
captivating appetiser for his bible knowledge lessons.

 Stocky, well-built,  ebony black and with perfect rows of gleaming white
teeth, Sir was everyone's handsome Gambian. He seemed to have a limitless
source of energy, lving his life at maximum, whether in arguments with John
Goddard or Ous Menteng Njai (at our vous at 20 Hagan Street) or swinging his
dreadlocks in tandem with rhythms of Marley's Bufflao Soldier at the Bantaba
in Stockholm.  Sir had a great and joyous character making him a most
incurable optimist. His attitude was that of a man who felt himself
duty-bound to enjoy life and make everyone happy in the process.

To me he remained embarassingly kind and I found his generosity of spirit
immensely enriching and humbling. I miss him profoundly. And so must Omar
"Chaala" Njai, Maodo Sey (Amul Ragal), Ebrima Kabla Jobe, Yahya Chune
(Brother Go) and scores of other pals and fans. My heartfelt condolences to
the entire extended Drammeh  family, and also to Hannah and their two
beautiful girls.

May he sleep fulfilled and rest in etrernal peace.

Momodou S Sidibeh