GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
SUNTOU TOURAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 07:14:40 +0000
haruna ,the idea is great.what i have experience in my dealing with gambians goes as follows.we put good ideas together but don't usually follow through it .we tend to be a little bit too family minded .what i mean by that is ,our close blood relative have much bigger say in our lifes than some fellow country men/women who might need our collective assistance more.
  i tell you a little story .after completing my secondary four back in the early 90's,i came to banjul to start my high school .now from secondary four then ,you start either from form four or three in a senior high school.i together with one jahanka boy got a scholarship from the christian mission because we came from a mission school.one of our colleague by the name ebrahim ,from wulli also gain a good result from the junior secondary four final exams but he couldn't have any sponsor to high school.and that man was intelligent and hard working.but then the high school fees cost about D2000 per year but ebrahim couldn't have any family member or outsider to sponsor him.he later started pushing wheel barrows for women in the serrekunda market to earn money to continue on his school.but how long will he get D2000 from shoppers that buy heavy commodities and to be loaded in vehicle bound for brikama,gunjure,sanyang or else were ? .every day when i am on my way to school ,i
 see ebrahim pushing his wheel barrow.this is a boy who was accepted at gambia high and muslim but no fees.i felt so sick i avoided seeing him.every time i show him we all will nearly cry.
  ebrahim couldn't continue his school by the time i finished my high school ,he was still with the spirit but lack the finance .
  this is just my story ,and believe in me ,when i go out of my house in bakoteh ,i see lots of similar people ,no sponsor.yet ,we spend our money on things completely irralevant.were is the community spirit ? i blame politics and politicains but we are all part of the blame .we cultivate the types of leaders we have.yahya knows the key weakness of the average secular educated gambian and he uses it against us.we want power,fame,a place to be lazy,some were to steal a few thausand.yahya also knows the cowardness in our amoury.
  yet i believe that an independent charity can work for gambians.if people like the hamas and hisboulah can organise charity that change there peoples life why not us ? those oraginsations depend on the support of there members but they build schools,hospitals and run them effectively.
  all we have to do is just be sincere in our cause.as you say $5 is big money for me but i am willig to join in .we can form a board of trustees right here .a non-political charity for gambians back home.we can set aside an amount for disadvantage students that schools will identify and then our cash can assist.but untill we start to see the gambia not individual interest ,our condition will remain like this for a long time.how many charities do we have in the developed countries ? many ,yet the state do its job ,whilst us,the state fail us and we fail each other.God help us.
  the plus side is ,gambians are reading the likes of baba,haruna and every one here.people browse the net and they are getting informed.

Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

"whats all this thanksgiving about you americanise now koto?" Ayatollah.

If I hear this Americanise stuff one more time Suntou, I'll wring your small
neck.

Thanxgiving:
Even though I am introduced to the idea from an American perspective, over
the years, I have come to recognize its value for all the world's citizens and
cultures. The idea from an American point of view is to be appreciative of
bounty from God/Allah in all its dimensions. If the bounty came to you from a
lottery winning, gift by other, or your own blood, sweat, and tears, you
recognise that God/Allah's hand is firmly behind it. If you do not believe in
God/Allah's omniscience, consider that there is economies of scale from life.
Those economies of scale from life (in all its forms) is what yields
recognizable bounty. And it is the aggregate of them that constitute God/Allah for
economy in literature sakes.

Now then you might declare that you hadn't recognized any bounty yet during
your life. To this I say, you do have the life that expects or seeks the
bounty. And possibly the health and innovation that, when properly harnessed,
could yield immense bounty. Therefore, you have, either by design or default,
bought into the idea of prosperity. It affords you the communion that creates
the general bounty for mankind. From the far side, you contribute to others'
recognition of bounty and appreciation for that will yield you the particular
bounty you haven't recognized yet.

In effect therefore, and whether you subscribe to any particular religion or
not, and whether you believe in divinity proper, the mere belonging to the
families of life (in their various forms) accrues a particular value in
economies of scale. That is what people mean when they say prayer in communion
works.

I encourage you Mr. Suntou and my colleagues, to choose a day in the year,
any day, to affirm the value of your life, and appreciate both the seemingly
insignificant bounties, as well as the magnificent glories of life.

Now go away. It will be wise for all humanity to choose the day that
Americans have chosen because if all humanity chooses the last Thursday in November
to appreciate bounties in life, it will be more valuable marginally than if
each one chooses their own day for fear of Americanisation. Think of it this
way: A prayer of a thousand lives is far more superior to a prayer of one or a
hundred. That is the idea of pilgrimages. And consider other values that may
accrue us when all humanity is trained on prayer at the same time. One big
prayer orgy that is bound to impact the lives of our animal colleagues.

"Good initiative on the Rambo quiz to come. Our people need every little
help." Ayatollah.

Thank you for the encouragement Suntou. I take it therefore that you think
the Brain of Gambia Trust is a good idea. If you think its a good idea, would
you therefore join me in the bricks and mortar for it. You could infact be the
Treasurer to collect the contributions of our colleagues who will form the
first board of directors for the Brain of Gambia Trust. Focus and let me know.
We Gambians generally lack the innovation for the finishing touch. The link
between talk and productivity. $5.00/month and if you wish to forward the
annual contribution you get a discount of $10.00 ($50.00/year) and for those in
Euroland, you have a particular advantage at this time with the devalued
dollar. What say you my friends???? While we remain disenchanted by Yahya
severally, the disdain threatens to consign our lives to paralysis and inutility.
As the plunder of Gambia continues to its natural end. When that end comes,
how can you unearth the pentup innovation and productivity. Can innovation and
productivity be called upon at will??? I declare they cannot. For the effect
of time and interceding events. Giddy up my fellow citizens. What it will
take is this:

If Suntou thinks something is a good idea, Suntou expresses thusly and finds
a way to act on it. Suntou does not wait for Nyarmorkono before Suntou
registers his wishes and applies his acumen and ability to produce. Yahya did not
wait for Suntou to create The Jammeh Foundation. And whether it is legal or
not, the end result is that Yahya, through The Jammeh Foundation, is affecting
the real lives of our fellow citizens. Suntou ought to therefore find a
legal and valuable way to affect the lives of his fellow citizens. That will be
better than Robin Hood. It will also give Yahya tremendous inspiration and
opportunity to turn the corner and make The Jammeh Foundation Legal and
valuable. It is a win-win proposition. Please don't tell me you will not do Legal and
valuable because Yahya will never do Legal and valuable. That is the
beginning of useless Suntou life. What lays in the darkest bosoms of a man whose
life hinges on the life of another, replete with coy and demure demarche, false
starts, non-starters, and bantanbilly????? Enquiring minds want to know.
Masoud. MQDT. Darbo. Haroun Rashid. Al Mutawakkil. We have a unique opportunity
to assist Yahya in training on propriety especially if we believe he has
enormous shortcomings. It is a time for Reflections and Reconnaisance. Yahya is a
fellow Gambian. $5.00 is the price of a cup of cafe Latte' at starbucks or
tea at the Garret House. The spirit it will engender in Brain of Gambia Trust?
Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!Darbo.

Haruna Darbo wrote: Good to see you again
Nyamorkono. Hope all's well. Happy thanxgiving to
y'all.

Masoud. Haroun. Al Mu'umin. The next edition of "Brain of Gambia Quiz" is
coming. The charity this time will be Ousman Rambo Jatta the kidnapped
UDP/NRP
officer. Remember if you think this is a great way to share knowledge and
assist deserving Gambians at the same time, let us know here. The idea is to
establish a permanent Brain of Gambia Trust to lift the spirits of our
fellow
citizens and afford needy students scholarships. I thought $5.00/month or
$50
annual contribution could get us well on our way to forming the first board.
Lemme Know Lemme know. Also send questions and their answers in confidence
thegdproject @aol.com if you wish to have them be part of the inventory of
questions. Issues on Gambia, Senegal, SierraLeone, Ghana, Bissau, Guinea
Conakry, Lebanon, and Liberia could be par for the course. I encourage
students of
Gambia University and senior secondary schools to participate when they are
able. MQDT. Darbo.

Web interface

To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to:
http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?S1=gambia-l
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい