GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:43:07 GMT
Gambia-L:

The e-mail below, as usual, came from one of my sources in the Gambia. It is
a tribute to Borris Devanney, the expelled Canadian who started the
University Extension Programme in the Gambia.

Ebrima Ceesay

Hello Ebrima,

I just returned from Bakau and saw Saul Khan's moving response to the part
mentioning Borris Devanney in your most recent article entitled "My Third
Message to All Gambians"; and of course having read Saul's piece, I too felt
obliged to say a few words about Borris Devanney, a Canadian educator with a
big heart. Ebrima, Dr. Devanney's association with the Gambia dates back to
the early 80's. I have also met the guy and I must tell you that he was
always full of enthusiasm, vigour and determination to succeed in
contributing his quota to the development of our dear country, especially
the education sector. Dr. Devanney even helped and encouraged me personally
so that I can enhance my professionalism. Ebrima, the University Extension
Programme was his baby which he nurtured until it was able to produce its
first batch of Gambian graduates. The University Extension Programme, as
many of you know, was certainly his brain-child. But even before starting
the University Extension Programme, Dr. Devanney had already contributed
immensely to the development of Technical Education in the Gambia,
especially at the GTTI. Of course, you cannot mention GTTI without
mentioning its dedicated director who guided the Institution from its
infancy. Dr. Devanney and the current GTTI director collaborated effectively
in the development of the University Extension Programme and the GTTI which
culminated in the link with The University of The Gambia. AND THAT IS WHERE
THE PROBLEM STARTED. EBRIMA, WHY DID THE REGIME EXPEL A GOOD PERSON LIKE
DEVANNEY? Well, the answer is very simple: Dr. Devanney and some Gambian
educators were of the view that the University Extension Programme should be
considered as the main catalyst which will eventually lead to a
fully-fledged Gambian University. He had said that there was no need to rush
and set up a new seperate University of the Gambia, especially if one
considered both the financial and human resources needed. He then advised
that the foundation built by the University Extension Programme, which was
already in place, could be upgraded gradually to a fully-fledged
Gambian-managed University. In short, Devanney was in favour of
"gradualism", while Yahya Jammeh wanted a University NOW. Typical Yahya
Jammeh, Not so? And being the boaster he is, Jammeh wanted a
Gambian-government-owned University so that he can take the credit. You see,
Ebrima, the problem with Yahya Jammeh is that he is an uneducated coward
even though he portrays himself as an educator, a scientist, an architect,
an economist. This man just runs the country as his personal property. So,
because he was of his dishonest opinion that Borris Devanney was
"sabotaging" his (Jammeh's) pet project, he had to get rid of him in this
uncivilised, ungrateful and dehumanising manner after Dr. Devanney spent
nearly two decades of his life in selfless pursuit of excellence in Gambian
education. He then expelled Devanney from the Gambia; a Devanney who has
even spent his own personal money in helping to provide the needs of GTTI,
The University Extension Programme, The Gambia College and a host of other
educational institutions. To Dr Borris Devanney, we Gambians say "sorry" for
the way and manner in which you were treated by Yahya Jammeh and Therese
Ndong-Jatta. This is not the wish of the Gambian people and I am sure you do
know that. You are no stranger amongst our midst. The decision to expel you
from the Gambia was not a decision of the people of the Gambia, but a
decision that came from these morons who have no mandate from the people to
act in the manner they have acted in your case and in so many other cases.
We therefore apologise on behalf of ALL Gambians, especially Gambian
students who have benefitted and continued to benefit from your selfless
assistance to the Gambian people. The Government of the day is peopled with
snakes - to borrow Saul's classification - and thus are excluded from this
apology.You will be invited back to the Gambia under a new leadership; and
it won't be long by the Grace of God. Dr. Devanney, THANK YOU VERY MUCH