GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sigga jagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:39:34 -0700
SUFFERING IN SILENCE :  THE EVERY DAY TRIALS OF THE
WOUNDED VICTIMS OF APRIL 10 AND 11

(See the attachment for the boys'story)

My tears are flowing as I write this, but I press on
as I have vowed to be the voice of these three brave
Gambian boys, three boys who are being constantly
dragged through hell everyday, since their woundings
during the student demonstrations of April 10.  Tears
always roll down by eyes when I express to them time
and again, my outrage at what happened to them and at
how they have been left to suffer daily.  But to my
statements, they merely reply that I should just have
faith in God and that everything happens for a reason.
 They tell me not to worry and that it will be O.K.  I
marvel at their brevity and their strength.  And I ask
myself how they can be so strong in the face of so
much suffering in their lives and in the face of the
fact that their young lives have been basically at a
standstill since they were shot on April 10.  But I
tell myself not to be misled by their young ages.  For
these are the same boys who on April 10, faced live
bullets, ready to lay their lives down in the name of
justice.  And that itself, is an ultimate proof of the
strength of their characters.  But I cannot help, but
question the very statements that they use to cheer me
up.  For what has believing in God got to do with
their shooting and the killing of their colleagues on
April 10 and 11?  Or for that matter what has it got
to do with the events that led to it - the murder of
Ebrima Barry and the rape of Binta Manneh?  Or better
put, should my believing in God not be the very reason
that I should call out for justice on their behalf and
on behalf of all April 10 and 11 victims?  And to
their statement that everything happens for a reason,
I wonder for what possibly logical reason can the
killing, maiming, and prolonged suffering of children
occur?  And there is every reason to worry.  For as
you will see from this story, the lives of these boys
are not only changed forever, but may be at risk due
to lack of proper medical care.  So it is for this
reason, that I have chosen to tell their story.  And
even though I have been warned on numerous times by my
family, friends, and well-wishers to be careful and
beware that the NIA had actually inquired as to who I
am due to my postings on the "L", I have decided to be
the voice of the silent sufferers.

=====
"NO ONE CAN MAKE YOU FEEL INFERIOR WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION"

                       ALSO

"NOTHING IS UNACHIEVABLE, THE ONLY QUESTION IS, WHETHER ONE IS WILLING TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO ACHIEVE WHAT IS DESIRED"