GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:08:41 -0700
Greetings,
 This is primarily of interest to those of you residing in Washington
State (and I must admit that I have a very hazy idea of how big the
Gambian community is here...). I just attended a meeting for the State
Initiative on the National Summit on Africa and want to invite any
interested parties to get involved.  I believe I have forwarded to the
list before a number of APIC postings on the Summit on Africa, but here is
a short recap: funded by the Ford Foundation and the Carnegie Corporation,
the Summit on Africa is a project for "educating the American public about
Africa and about US/Africa relations; broadening and strengthening the
network of Africa's supporters in America; and developing a policy plan of
action to guide US relations with the countries and peoples of Africa."
Currently the process has reached the stage of a number of regional
conferences being held during which amendments are made to the "Policy
Plan of Action" which is roughly divided into 5 policy areas:
1) Human Rights/Democracy
2) Sustainable development/Quality of Life/Environment
3) Education and Culture
4) Economic development/Trade/Job Creation
5) Peace and Security
February 17-20, 2000, there will be a national conference in
Washington D.C. and a Master Policy Document will be created from the
regional drafts. Granted, we do not know to what extent recommendations
will be implemented--one never does--but think of the possibilities for
networking, organizing, and expression of diverse views!  Literally anyone
can join this process and attend the various meetings, you do not have to
be any sort of "Expert," only have an interest in Africa and African/US
relations.  The State of Washington is entitled to send 36 delegates, of
which 32 positions remain open. Through fundraising, all expenses will
hopefully be paid for, so you don't have to be rich to participate. I
would encourage Gambians and friends of the Gambia who reside in the State
of Washington to become involved.  There will be another meeting on August
8, probably in the late afternoon somewhere in the Central District, but
more details are yet to be ironed out. If you want to be put on the
mailing list, please e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Over and out, Ylva in Seattle