GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:39:21 -0400
Jobe, am I not glad you asked for proof? As they say, be careful what you
ask for at times. You might just get it. There is NOT a single allegation I
make here that I cannot substantiate. As I write, I have before me the
ruling from the 'Examining Magistrate' J. Stickel-Cicural in case number
CP/449/95 and case number P/11445/95. If we have subscribers in Geneva, I
respectfully urge them to inquire with the Magistrate Court and report on
this case. If Switzerland is anything like many democracies, these court
records would be made public. However, I would not be surprised if the Swiss
authorities do not publicize such judgments, given the secrecy surrounding
their banking laws.

When people see this Ruling, they will realize that on August 14, 1996 the
Republic of The Gambia (Yaya) through his lawyer, Mr. Dante Canonica,
petitioned the Swiss courts in an attempt to recover moneys ALLEGEDLY stolen
by Ebou Jallow. Yaya accused the former spokesman of the AFPRC of stealing
'more than US$3 Million, debited from a special account opened for the
Central Bank of Gambia'. This is lifted directly from the Ruling. There are
other claims and allegations I would not get into at this stage. On the
basis of these allegations, the Swiss courts on November 17, 1995 froze
Account No. 49275.1 and ordered the temporary seizure of US$3 Million in
that account.

The Ruling also revealed that 'on January 16, 1996 an additional complaint
relating to the sum of US$20 (twenty; this is NOT a typo) Million was lodged
by the Republic of Gambia against Mr. Ebou Jallow, an additional complaint
mixed with a request for sequestration of the accounts held by Mr. Ebou
Jallow or to which he has economic right at Citibank (Switzerland) as well
as at Citibank N.A. New York, branch at Geneva'. Emphasis mine. I would not
have written it this way, but you must understand that this document was
translated into English from its original version.

By the way, Jobe, if you need to verify these statements from your end, I
suggest you contact the then Attorney General of The Gambia (I don't even
remember who it was. We have had so many of them). I know you will not have
the guts to ask Yaya. So I would not suggest that. You can also check with
our Embassy in Paris. They contacted the Swiss courts regarding this matter
on April 10, 1996. You can also ask Bala Jahumpa. I think he was the Finance
Minister when the moneys were received from Taiwan.

The court found concrete evidence showing that Ebou Jallow held Power of
Attorney to Yaya's 'PERSONAL ACCOUNT until the 13th of October, 1995'. The
court also found, and I quote: 'for the US$ 3,000,000 in contention,
transferred from the CENTRAL BANK of GAMBIA to account no: 49275 opened in
Ebou Jallow's name at Credit Lyonnais, the account manager is equally
categorical: when Ebou Jallow asked to remove the entire US$ 3,000,000 in
cash, the manager contacted PRESIDENT JAMMEH by telephone who confirmed to
him that he (YAYA) was aware of the fact that the amount originated from the
CENTRAL BANK of Gambia and that it had been credited to Ebou Jallow's
PERSONAL ACCOUNT.' The court went further to say: 'President Jammeh also
declared that "it was in order" and that Ebou Jallow could withdraw all the
funds because he was in Europe to carry out some operations'. Noticed how
the court quoted the moron himself? "It was in order" when Ebou Jallow was
withdrawing the money. But when things backfired, all sorts of stories and
accusations began to fly.

Because I have a somewhat busy schedule today, I will leave it at that for
now. I will talk about the Taiwan Millions later. I will give you a heads-up
and ask you to liaise with your people at Central Bank and ask them to show
you where the Taiwan Millions was recorded in our Books. I will also talk
about our import cover later on; a point you raised.
KB