GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
George Sarr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 09:26:56 -0500
Abort!Retry!Fail! Oops! there it is...

Mr Camara,
 Before I open another whole can of worms, let me re-phrase here for a sec.
I wrote, " I specifically would like to know whether you can use the NOMail
feature(disables mail delivery) yet still being able to post messages as
usual. If that is what you're implying, then I would start using this
breather  ASAP. Afterall, why reinvent the wheel when the cat is totally
wrapped in the  bag? " If what I wrote sounds unintelligible, then please
by all means forgive my L'anglais. IMHO, this is a simple layman's
question.

<<You wrote, "There is no need having a mailing list like Gambia-L  running
on LISTSERV if what you are suggesting is a discussion forum where you can
go and fill out a form and send your message to the forum without being
subscribed." >>

Mr Camara, I never said anything like that. Obviously, anyone using this
'proposed' form MUST  already be subscribed to the L before anyone can
receive their messages. This form is no different from your regular hotmail
/or yahoo 'compose' form-mails. The nice thing about using this form is you
don't necessarily have to use your hotmail/yahoo e-mail accounts per se.

Let's just assume I just want to be able to send mail, and I DON'T want to
receive any. I prefer going to the G_L archives. Then instead of clogging
my hotmail/yahoo account, I would ask List managers to subscribe me to the
Gambia-L using e-mail alias [log in to unmask] Once you guys register this
e-mail address, then I should be able to send e-mails to the L and
practically everyone should receive my posting(s). But I won't be able to
receive any e-mail because [log in to unmask] doesn't receive incoming
e-mails. Why? Because [log in to unmask] DOESN'T exist. Get my drift?

Now , if on the other hand, the NOMail feature you mentioned accomplishes
the same goal( i.e enable outgoing e-mails, disables incoming), then I see
no dire need for this 'proposed' form. Mind you, this form has some nifty
add-ons that makes it user friendly. It's so simple it makes you want to
climb a tree and act like a nut (hehehe!). Well, not exactly, but you guys
might want to give it a shot.

<<You wrote, " What would be your solution if mr. X or Mrs. Y goes to your
proposed form and start flaming? ">>

You mean they'll climb a tree and act like a nut? Ha! Well, Mr X and Mrs Y
both have to be registered members with unique username and password for
accessing this form. They also MUST be subscribed to the Gambia-L  by List
managers( yes you still get to keep your jobs) before anyone can receive
their postings.

The bottomline is those who choose to continue to receive e-mails from the
L through their regular hotmail/yahoo accounts can still do so using this
form. Those who rather not clog their hotmail/yahoo accounts can have
dummy e-mail alias registered and subscribed to the L. They can always use
the Gambia-L archives to read posted messages, and not having to deal with
bulky e-mails flooding their important hotmail/yahoo e-mail accounts. We
all can attest to that painstaking reality.

What we have here is simply an alternative if it suits others. I wouldn't
suggest it if it's going to create more harm than good. I will send this
form to you Mr Camara and have you look at and let me know what you think.
Just don't turn the other cheek yet. Let's try to exhaust all options and
make this List better for all and sundry. I think it's worth giving a shot.

Later,
George.