GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 22:37:09 +0000
Deyda, I think you are missing the point about Seng. the issue about Seng.
is not about the platitude of the philosophy or doctrine of negritude, far
from it. After all Seng. lived in an era when black people all over the
world were struggling for recognition, hence the slogans "black is
beautiful" "black power" am "black and proud", it was against such a
background of rhetoric that Seng. and his compatriots were struggling for
recognition.

After accomplishing all academic excellence, many black students, who became
lawyers, doctors and poets realised that they were still considered as
sub-human. This was really unacceptable, hence the need for self assertion
and recognition. By becoming students of excellence who were still treated
with contempt as a direct consequence of their colour, many contemporary
black students engage in the struggle for acceptance, this was the basis for
their radicalism, it was not due to the fact that they understood the
underlying contradictions which were far more complex and complicated than
racism.

Senghores political role would be better understood if we move from
sloganeering to concrete policy. When the Europeans realised that they had a
common intrest in exploiting the African continent, they buried the matchet,
eventhough they were the bitterst of enemies. They were constantly at each
others throats, killing each other to control terretories for purposes of
exploitation. When they realised that they needed to cooperate instead of
making arch enemies of each other they called a confrence in Berlin  in 1884
to divide the African continent and enter into treatise that would ensure
they no longer fight each other for the colonies they acquired.

It was this type of spirit that Africa wanted at independence, a spirit of
cooperation to defeat a common enemy. This was never to be simply because
there were willing marionettes like Seng. who was prepared to act as the
French emmissary to abhort the African scheme of unity.

This scheme designed to strengthen the African position was catalysed by
Ghana, when Ghana gained Independence and Guinea voted "oui pour
l,independence" they entered into a union, since the two countries together
produced a good deal of bauxite and other minerals, their union presented a
threat to the Europeans. Ghana, Guinea co-operation meant the first
emergence of anti-colonial axis in Africa. This was far too much for the
Europeans to tolerate. If the European intrest was in grave danger a
European solution was therefore imminent.

Before Europe addressed this perceived danger, insult was added to injury.
As they were still too shattered to to to formulate a new policy to contain
the situation, hey presto. Lumumba's Congo, the pearl of Africa stormed into
existence. It immediately sought to join the Ghana,Guinea axis. To europe
this was unacceptable.

To conter such dangerous menace, the French hastened to create a
French-speaking community in Africa, the OCAM, which distinguished itself by
it's docility towards Europe.These accolytes became more gaullist than de
Gaulle. To them Nkrumah was the arch-villain, and they made it their
business to oppose anything, but anything, Nkrumah proposed, to the
detriment of Africa. They were against him in principle. In return for their
subservience, Europe offered the OCAM countries favoured treatement within
the EEC, in the celebrated Agreement signed in Yaounde. In reality the OCAM
countries were guaranteeing to preserve and safeguard European burgoise
intrests in Africa. Nkrumah's call for African unity carried no weight with
them, they thought it was a crazy idea, hence the whole project was abhorted
and its death warrant signed and sealed by the likes of Seng.

The Ghana\ Guinea axis in addition to Algeria, was later joined by Modibo
Keita of Mali and it was through the initiative of this group that the first
confrence to set up the OAU was convened. No leader, however subservient,
dared to oppose the call for a pan African organization, so inspired were
the masses who had expected action from the leadership. This was the climate
under which the ugly head of divide and rule re-appeared and guess who were
the ponds on the chess board. That is why it is right and we owe it to the
African youth to understand the roles played people like Seng. we must not
allow ourselves to be mesmerised by their intellectual profiles. We must
respect their academic excellence but we must dissect their political roles
and I think that is paramount and therefore supercedes any other issue.