GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rene Badjan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:38:15 EDT
Beran,
      This is a very good initiative. It is perhaps, time now that a strong
national Gambian organization is consolidated, that can endeavor to safeguard
and promote our collective interest in this country. Cognizant of our shared
values and a common national origin, Gambians in the US should obligate
themselves to organize, and strengthen our presence to advance our common
welfare. We therefore should bring ourselves in the spirit of unity, to
reinforce our solidarity. We should strive to communicate with each other;
support each other, and break the barriers that militate against these
efforts.

      You have tried before with an organization of this nature, and are
trying again for the second time. This is the challenge. Once the objective
is noble, it will always find people who will carry it forward. This is the
reason why it refuses to die.

      One thing I learnt about strong organizations is that it is not about
numbers. It is abouts convictions; about beliefs; about commitments; about
sincerity and sacrifice. Any number of few people can achieve laudable
aspirations with a very good support structure. Therefore, structure is very
important in any organization. Given the scope of the vision such an
organization is expected to explore, and taking into consideration the
unmitigating circumstances that could be the lot for many Gambians in the US,
situations that are challenging and arduous, the character of this
organization should be representative rather than individual membership
oriented.

     For this reason, the assignment given to Karamba to contact Gambian
organizations nationwide is pivotal. It is also necessary to encourage
Gambians to form community based organizations in all the states they are
located, and to delegate representatives to a convention in Washington to
formally launch this organization. Meanwhile, the initiative you have taken
is commendable. Good luck.

  Rene

Nb: We are slowing evolving a Gambian community organization in Connecticut.
Momodou Baldeh in New York is part of our group, and will help organize
certain constituents in New York. When the time is up, I am certain that we
will oblige to send a delegation to washington to attend the convention.