GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:25:44 -0500
Hello, all, see below:

I received a private mail from Ebou Jallow who asks the following.

Ebou says:  Ginny,
Are really sure that I sent that email...?

Ginny answers:  No, I'm not 100% sure that you sent that email.  I'm
coming to the point where I can't really be absolutely sure of
anything anymore.  So, in short, no, I can't be 100% sure...

Ebou says:  Don't you think it is possible for someone else to spoof
my email..?

Ginny answers:  Sure, anything is *possible*.

Ebou says:  Why are you people so narrow minded?  Check
the IP on that message, and the IP of this email and ask yourself
whether the two are from the same computer.

Ginny answers:  What do the differences in the IP addresses have
anything to do with anything?  All you'd need to do would be to go to
a different computer?  The only way it would make a difference is,
say, if the IP addresses came from entirely! two different places.
Say, for example, your normal IP address is from somewhere in the US,
but all of a sudden, emails purporting to come from you all of a
sudden start having IP addresses say, from The Gambia or Senegal.
Then, it would need to be investigated if you'd traveled to those
places, or if you'd made your account info available to someone from
there so they can log on from there.

     Also, I'm just curious as to why private emails to Pa Nderry are
all of a sudden being forwarded by Ebou Jallow, and this was after Pa
Nderry has stated that his email account was hacked into.  All I can
say is Hmmm...

     I will also state that this recent "hacking incident" has made me
increasingly nervous, and though I've spoken out against Ebou, he's
never emailed me privately.  Now, he's all of a sudden started doing
so.  Why is this?  Is he going to start cyber-targeting other people
who speak out against him or the Jammeh government?  And this is, of
course, assuming that he's the one behind all this mess.

     He's also sent me another private email, forwarding something
about Pa Nderry being a homosexual?  Hmmm, as if I want to see all of
this.  So it's like, all of the people who have criticized his
forwarding of the emails, and who have subsequently called for him to
be moderated or banned from the Gambia-l or Gambia Post mailing lists,
are now being targeted in the second private email he sent to me.

Personally, I could care less about Pa Nderry's sexuality, to me, that
is a private matter that is up to him to disclose or not.

But this whole thing is really making me nervous, and I can definitely
see how this sort of thing, the intimidation, threats, etc., can
instill fear in people.

The question is, what do I do?  I definitely don't want to be targeted
by anyone, and the last thing I need is to have someone start
impersonating me, or trying to hack into my account.  OK, so Ginny's
not that important and Ginny's not worth it, well, if that's the case,
I'll happily agree with that.  I just want to be left alone.

As far as examining the IP addresses and trying to see where they come
from, I don't have the time nor the knowledge for this.
     So was I wrong?  Was I just "too narrow-minded" in assuming it
was Ebou Jallow?  Hmmm.  I don't know.  I really don't.  This whole
thing is gonna give me a headache.

Ginny

--
Visit my blog at:  http://quickgm28.blogs.com/ginnys_thoughts_and_thing/