GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Hatab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:57:48 -0000
THE LOGICAL CONCLUSION
By Baba Galleh Jallow

And Yapat drove, leaving behind them a long trail of dust, which hung on to
the dark blue body of the pajero. Sometimes, he slowed down to allow a horse
or donkey cart to make way. The people on the carts generally cheered and
waved frantically at the passing vehicle and Afang Tulubay, forever ready to
bask in the limelight, raised his hand and held it there, with his
traditional broad grin to match; that grin that made him feel really
special, and superior.
At long last, the village of Fookunda came into sight. ‘We are there boss,’
Yapat announced. Afang Kangtei sat up and peered ahead. He shook his head
and glanced quizzically at Yapat.
‘You want to tell me this is the famous Fookunda I’ve heard so much about?’
he asked, feeling really cheated. ‘I thought people were telling me about a
real place. Ha? You kidding me man.’
‘Well boss this is Fookunda,’ Yapat said, helplessly grinning. ‘It’s really
a no place indeed. No place for big people like you.’
‘But are you sure Yapat, that this is the Fookunda that I said we should
come to. Are you sure Yapat, that you have not brought us all this way to a
wrong Fookunda? In fact, where is the forest? I can’t see any forest for
miles on end.’
‘Well boss, this is the only Fookunda I know…’
‘The only Fookunda you know! I hope this is the right Fookunda Yapat,
because if it is not, I would be convinced that you have also joined the
miserable ranks of my jealous enemies. Every one is against me, everyone!’
Afang Kangtei raged as they reached the outskirts of the village.
Presently, a scrawny old man on a donkey came riding by. As he left the lane
to make way for the vehicle, Yapat pulled up and greeted him.
‘Na Kebba, is this the village of Fookunda?’
‘Yes it is. You must have come to see Jalang Kutubu,’ he guessed.
‘That’s right, Afang cut in, leaning over to have a good view of the
donkey-rider. Where can we find him?’
‘Go straight ahead to the Bantaba and ask for the Alkali. He will show you
the Jalang Marala, the keeper of the Jalang.’
Yapat thanked him and drove into the village.
After the usual felicitations, Afang was ushered into the privacy of the
Alkali’s hut while Yapat went to wait in the car. Shortly afterwards, a very
old blind man was led into the hut where Afang was accorded pride of place
and sat majestically on the alkali’s bed, frequently shifting positions to
indicate to his hosts just how uncomfortable it was to sit on that hard
wooden bed. After the usual introductions, the Alkali excused Afang and the
old priest to conduct the requisite consultations.
‘I have so many enemies who are trying to destroy me. I want them
destroyed,’ Afang said. The old priest grinned and peered into space with
his blank sockets, then he peered in the direction of Afang.
‘It’s a tough battle he said. Jalang Kutubu says you must sacrifice a human
being, a male. He must be very close to you and he must be the right
person.’
‘I will do it,’ Afang immediately retorted.
‘What’s the first name of the person?’ the old man asked.
‘Yapat,’ Afang said, finding a ready victim in his faithful driver.
‘Is this Yapat the right person?’
‘Yes it is,’Afang said.
‘It shall then be done.’
Afang was told what else to do and a few minutes later, Yapat was driving
back to our little town, not knowing that the man he so faithfully served
had just offered him up as a sacrifice.
In the early hours of the next morning, heart-rending wails from Yapat’s
house announced the sudden death of the middle-aged driver. Afang Kangtei
Tulubay was among the very first people to arrive at the bereaved family’s
house. As he consoled Yapat’s wife and children, he suddenly broke into
heart-rending sobs. All the other mourners gathered around him and consoled
him. Some observed what a soft-hearted boss Afang was. When his sobs finally
subsided, a swollen-eyed Afang walked out of the bereaved house, mopping his
face and blowing his nose. As he walked across the street towards his car,
there was a loud hooting of horns and a simultaneous loud bang. Afang flew
into the air and landed with a loud thud on the side of the road just as the
wheels of the vehicle that knocked him came crashing into his mangled body…