GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:39:12 +0000
Mo, thanks for your thoughts and please bear with me for my delayed or
limited response due to deadlines at work.  I noticed that the discussion
has moved away from finding the best roadmap to a future Gambia to what
percentage PDOIS can poll.

Back in 2001, I lobbied Ousainou (Fredericks, MD), Halifa, and Hamat when
they came to Howard University about the need for them to form a coalition
for I was convinced that the only way they can dislodge the APRC is to not
split the opposition vote.  Ousainou, believed that he got the votes with
the help of PPP to win and I agreed to disagree with that projection.  I met
with Hamat Bah with the same coalition proposal and he also indicated that
he has the numbers and has a chance at winning.  I met with Halifa and he
also indicated that just like in Senegal, PDOIS want a first go at it and if
there is a second round, they will consider an alliance of some sort.  PDOIS
also believed they had the numbers.  I also disagreed with Halifa's
projection and did not believe that a runoff will result.  Like most
Gambians, I knew better.  It ended up that I divi up the contributions
according to the wishes of the contributors for the 2001 election campaign.

In 2003, when the opposition parties came to Atlanta, my belief in the need
for a coalition to dislodge Yaya never wavered.  I never believe that any
party or a party with a few good men and women can get rid of an entrenched
dictator.  Thus, while the organizers in Atlanta limited the gathering to
meet the people tour and for the politicians to tell us what we already knew
- bad governance in the Gambia, my focus was to push to them, again, the
idea of forming a coalition in 2006 to get rid of Yaya Jammeh.  With Kebba
Foon and Momodou Drammeh, the leaders were invited to discuss that very
issue, in the presence of twenty five to thirty Gambians.  Just like in
2001, I never thought about our liberation in terms of individual parties or
personalities, so, we would stray off course to at this moment be discussing
PDOIS.  I thought our politics would at this point make us realize that NADD
is not PDOIS, but an ideal that Gambians brought about.  What NADD (UDP,
NRP, NDAM, PPP, and PDOIS) crafted as a roadmap and all signed, and that you
and I championed, is what the NADD flagbearer, Halifa is running on.

So why are we discussing PDOIS at this time?  I am addressing two platforms,
UDP/NRP and NADD's (NDAM, PDOIS, and PPP).  Who has a plan for Gambia?  If
it is fine by Gambians that not having a plan at all is ok as long as you
want Yaya out, then I say we have it coming to us.  Aside from the killings
that Yaya committed, what is the difference between the APRC agenda and the
UDP/NRP agenda, and the NADD agenda?  That is the question.  Since there is
not one coalition, then the people must know what each coalition have for
us.  Let us not waste our time on tactics for each flagbearer has to show us
what their side is composed of and to convince the voters.  The same
erroneous calculation was made by the NDP/NRP support group (not Sidebeh)
that they had the numbers for a landslide victory in Kombo East, and we all
know what happened.  How long must we continue to entertain that madness of
repeating the same mistake?  Now, the same group is claiming to win again,
and sadly, when Gambians were supposed to have a united front and demand a
united coalition, we fall back to our previous malady of looking to
individual/group interest over the national interest of getting rid of a
monster that is killing us all.  We cannot be philosophical about our
current situation, and I believe Gambians are conscious of what they are
engaged in, even as we claim to be tired of our dictatorship.  As much as I
hate to live through a repeat of 2001, may be we do not mind it, as a
people.  I am fighting for an ALLIANCE for a REGIME and SYSTEM CHANGE.
Thanks again for your thoughts.

Chi Jaama

Joe