GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 17:48:41 -0000
Maila & Ylva,

The only thing I make of this posting is the serious coastal erosion taking
place in Banjul and the Kombo St Mary's area.  If this indeed is what the
writer is referring to, I do not understand why he appears gleeful at such
environmental disaster which is not only threatening economic infrastructure
but human life.

The problem is currently being addressed by the African Development Bank and
we hope that the erosion will be arrested and eventually reversed. The
problem has been scientifically diagnosed by a Dutch Consulting firm and
recommendations made as to the least-cost approach to effectively addressing
the issue. So, it is not a fact that the donor community is unwilling to
help The Gambia in this area.

Sidi Sanneh