GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
TOMBONG SAIDY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:05:50 -0500
Gambia-l,

Below is from The Point Newspaper of February 13th 2002:

Gambia Not In Blair’s Priority Tour List - John Perrot

Mr. John Perrot, the British High Commissioner to The Gambia, has reacted to
the questions over Gambia’s exclusion in Tony Blair’s tour list of the sub
region by saying: “The Gambia was not included on the Prime Minister’s
timetable and priority list due to certain factors. This, according to the
High Commissioner was due to the fact that those countries visited by Tony
Blair had a big say in the affairs of the New Partnership For the
Development of Africa. Other considerations which may drive the British
Prime Minister to visit a country, Mr. Perrot pointed, are based on the size
of the presence of British troops in that country.

“Gambia is a small country, it cannot be compared to Nigeria in size. One
has to be realistic,” he said. This, he quickly added, should not be taken
as an offense. Mr. Perrot further argued that the past colonial links
between The Gambia and Britain would not count much. Adding: “our
partnership with The Gambia is a modern one and it must be looked at beyond
relying on a colonial past”. He further denied claims that Gambia’s
exclusion from his Prime Minister’s tour list might have been connected to
last year’s unceremonious departure of Bharat Joshi.

”We have retaliated in due course to that and we have agreed with Gambia
government to work together,” Mr. Perrot remarked. He felt that the matter
had been put to rest and should be left behind. “We are rebuilding the
relationship and we will go on doing that,” he added. The High Commissioner
also disclosed that they would get DFID annual strategy renewed and map out
the way forward, adding that two million pounds was spend last year and
600,000 pounds was also spent on IEC operations.

PEACE

Tombong