GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gibby Cham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:34:13 -0700
 Ablie,

I do not have anything against having the show. I love Vivianne's music and would love the opportunity to attend the show, but I just feel that the wrong night was chosen for this show. No matter how they phrase it or schedule it on this day, it will always interfere with the Saturday events.

I have never heard of a show that they said will start at 8:30 and it did. Even if it does, the soccer events at the field doesn't end till after 10pm. You know that and everybody that has been coming to the July4th event. i think it is time for the self centered businesspeople out there to stop using the July 4th weekend that the gambians have strived for years to organise, for their own selfish financial gain. The money that they are making out of this concert doesn't have anything to do with the Atlanta gambian organisation or the gambians as a whole. It all goes to one self centered person that is using the event to make himself richer. why does it always have to happen that the people have to pick a choice of which event to attend on Saturday night and not everybody just attending one event.

We've been through this before my brother, and everybody in ATL knows the real deal why the soccer team took over the hosting of the events. If you've attended last years events, you might understand what I mean---how bad the organisation went.

July 4th should be brought back tho the traditional way, whereby the Atlanta people will organise it and the out of town guests will come to the city and enjoy themselves without having to pay a dime for entrance to any events. tHIS IS JUST RIDICULOUS, AND IT NEEDS TO BE STOPPED.

Gibby

  Abdoul Njie <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Gibby,

As you might already know, the perpetual growth of the July fourth has
inevitably forced the organizers to re-evaluate the financing capabilities
of the existing community organizations, and more importantly the need
to foster and maintain the tranquility and avoid any conflict regarding the
hosting of the event.

Please allow me to shed some light on the 2002 July Fourth celebrations. I
must first like to defer from your assertion that the soccer team is taking
over the organizing aspects of the celebrations, but rather inform you that
a general consensus was reached between all organizations most notably UGOA
(The United Gambian Organisation Of Atlanta) which hosted it in 2001 to
give the soccer team a chance to organize it for this year, so that the
rest of the community can attend to a much needed emergency fund.

As recently as May 28th, 2002 meetings were being held to harmoniously
create an organizing committee consisting of both private and non private
entities interested in participating, with a pre-condition that every
participant contribute to the newly formed Emergency fund-AGERA which we
belief is for the common good of all Gambians in Atlanta.

After numerous meetings, the agreement to allow the Atlanta Soccer Team a
chance to organize it in 2002 was reached as long they can device a
mechanism to allocate to the emergency fund which they have agreed to
although final arrangements are still pending.

The stance of the soccer team is to maintain the traditional July Fourth
programs with the inherent belief that funding should come from $20
contributions by all interested Atlanta Gambians as you pointed out in your
piece, starting with a fundraising on Friday, July 7th at Cleveland
Avenue, Soccer and Picnic on Saturday, Saturday Night Party at Cleveland
Ave, Sunday Picnic/Soccer Finals and a closing Awards and farewell party at
the YMCA on Sunday Night.

In closing, I would have to say that, although the VIVIANE as well as
ASSANE N’DIAYE & Maslaa bi organizers have made the decent gesture of
trying to see how they can harmoniously incorporate their programs with the
July Fourth programs with utmost adherence to contributing to the emergency
fund, it has been met with occasional resistance. This has therefore led
the former (Africa Fest) to have their event outside of the July fourth
programs time frame, and the latter (Juffure Productions) to cancel and host
their program after the July fourth weekend.

WE hope all Gambians anticipating the reunion weekend will have a good time.