GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:12:22 +0000
"Dave you do not have any idea what it feels like to be
constantly harangued, stopped from visiting families who live on the other
side
of your own town, or have your newly built houses bulldozed by the Israelis
just because you have not asked for planning permission from them in your
own
land (after the PA have already given you the go ahead), have you shot dead
for
throwing stones etc".

Dave, thanks for this quote.  You see, where you sit depends on where your
feet are planted.  I think we, in the comfort of our peaceful environments
should really pause for a minute and try to put ourselves in the daily
livings of a people under siege and no hope for any future.  Is Nelson
Mandela and the ANC "Terrorist"?  Was'nt their defense against Apartheid
done by "Any Means Necessary"?  In our comfort zones, we have the luxury to
say suicide bombings are barbaric, uncivilized, and against human decency,
etc.  However, when the rest of the world watched them for 35 years and
counting, fighting with stones, we did not see the barbarism when little
boys and girls were plucked by snipers daily.  We did not see the
hopelessness of generations seeing everyone around them amount to nothing
till their death.  They did not have the bombs to lob at Israel, like Israel
has, and the rest of the world (you and I) does not value their lives to see
the injustice against them and come to their defense.  Are we suggesting
that stones against tankers was a level playing field?  Let us genuinely ask
ourselves this question and honestly confide to our inner being, would we
not do the same under the circumstance?  Please think about the above quote
from a survival stand point, you may begin to understand, not feel, their
agony.  The South Africans certainly could relate to the Palestinian
condition.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou