GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 22:42:15 +0000
If there is anything worth applauding in this budget it is the honest of SOS
Jatta. His presentation of the reality of the bleak state of our economy
without any mincing of economic jargons is a novelty. He has clearly
acknowledged the fact that the debt is spiralling to a point that is no
longer tenable hence action is required to redress the imbalance. The only
thing he failed to botray is the route out of this predicament, it would
have been exciting had he addressed issues of bureaucratic wastage and lack
of an efficient tax collection mechanism. It is obvious that the country is
losing a lot of revenue due ineffiency.
I also would want the emphasis of developement to shift from service
provison to linking agriculture to small scale industries hence enhancing a
potential tha actually exist. The productive base of the economy must be
broadened so as to accomodate or create a catalyst to diversification an
export oriented economy. At the moment the economy is over-burdened with
importation of commodities hence the constant shortage of foreign exchange
and consequently chronic trade and budget deficits. To counter such a
negative imbalance real measures and not academic ones must be put in place
to resurect our ailing economy.
Failure to take drastic and realistic measures could lead to the Argentenian
scenario, after all no one is immune from such a scenario, as long as we
continue to rely on other people's money for our development. If any lessons
are to be drawn from SOS Jatta's budget it is that we should strive to
conceive of policies that will free us from dependency. With both the human
as well as agricultural resources at our disposal the potential is there.
All we need now is imagination and the political will. After all development
is  not a matter of pressenting empty project proposals but the
implimentation of realistic programmes designed to impact positively on the
lives of the people. In Gambia we have experts in project designers, over
the years this has been a mechanism through which funds were generated only
to be squandered. I hope the budget next year would not be as bleak as this
one for it is through comparing and contrasting can we measure progress.