GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:15:03 EST
Mr. Drammeh,
With all due respect,  you should be the last one talking since you live in
Scandinavia where your exposure or experience to bigotry have been quite
limited.  Talk about you experiences but you simply cannot endorse the use of
 the word based on one single experience.

In no way did I say that the type of person that Saul described did not
exist.  My objection was to two things: First, the fact that he naively tried
to stereotype African Americans into three groups.  This was an
over-simplistic naive categorization as well as a futile attempt at
stereotyping.  Second, after a handful of experiences with unsavory
characters, he decided to call a whole section of the population the most
demeaning word that was coined by whites to describe blacks.  But he had no
justification for the use of the word.  And up to this point, he nor you, Mr.
Drammeh, have been able to justify it's use.

I don't expect you to be able to read between the lines and see bigotry for
what it really is.  But I would urge you to not only use your mind, but take
a hard long look at the information in front of you before agreeing with
blanket statements like the ones Saul made.

To conclude, no apology is expected from you.  Hope you acknowledge that we
cannot generalize or make stereotypes.  This type of behavior has been the
cause of too many problems.

Have a nice day, Mr. Drammeh.

Yus