GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
BambaLaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 13:46:03 -0600
Ya Soffie:

This speech surfaced in an exchange I had with a Ghanian friend a couple
of years or more back. At the time, both of us could not find substantial
prove of the said speech. We pretty much concluded it was a fabrication of
some sickly (probably more sick than Botha himself).
We may have concluded wrong and it was pretty darn convincing as it looks
given our predilections of Botha's tendencies and circumstance
srurrounding Aprtheid and all. My friend Osei was pretty darn convinced of
the authenticity of the said speech. We found out Botha gave a similar but
not quites as condescending a speech dubbed the infamous "crossing the
Rubicon speech" on August 15, 1985 of which there was widespread
condemnation the world over. I even remember my friend sahring an ANC
Press release rebutting the "Rubicon" speech. I'm sure this is out there
somewhere.

The said piece have been circulated in numerous forums including Ghanaweb
where my friend first saw it.

-BambaLaye