GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:59:47 -0400
It's just interesting to me that people who claim to be so Islamicly (and
otherwise) religious and defy their own religions and come on here and
insult people and for what?  I think henceforth anyone who engages in
personal attacks on any of the opposition political leaders in The Gambia
are not really serious about seeing a united opposition at this juncture,
and that they'd rather see Jammeh in power ad infinitum, rather than the
person they don't like and thus are insulting.  So for me they might as well
go home and campaign for the APRC, as far as I'm concerned and I at this
point don't care who it is that's doing the insulting!  I'm frankly tired of
it.  Don't tell me you want a united opposition one minute and then the next
start insulting the opposition leaders who frankly (coward though you may
think they are) are probably doing more for the struggle than you ever will.
And don't come here insulting everyone including people's parents, and then
the next day act all pious and religious, like you just got back from Hajj
or something.  This kind of hypocrisy is maddening, and don't tell us you
had your reasons, that you meant well, that the ends justify the means, or
that someone made you mad or something.  Come on, you're grown up ere, not a
little boy/girl.  Surely, if someone makes you angry, you can take a step
back from the computer, count to ten, maybe pray some nafila prayers,
whatever it is you need to do, to come yoursllf down enough to coherently
engage people in a constructive dialogue/criticism.

Because if some if us here on these lists were truly interested in a united
opposition, we'd not be posting so-called nursery rhymes attacking other
people, we'd not be calling people cowards, we'd not be bringing up supposed
statements by certain opposition memebers supposedly condoning the coup, and
pretty much by our deeds, words, and actions, doing all we could to stymy
attempts at an opposition unity.  Instead, we'd be doing what we could to
bring people together, to highlight our common goals, perhaps try to
compromise in areas we may disagree, etc.  Maybe we'd be calling our friends
and families back home and encouraging them to vote, maybe we'd actually
take some time off work and actually go back home to assist in campaigning
or getting people to the polls.  Maybe we'd be giving money to facilitate
the opposition's ability to campaign.

I'd like to know how many people currently engaged (and who seemingly are
always the same ones engaged) in the mud slinging would be willing to do any
of the above?  Or something else constructive that I've not thought of?  And
my guess is probably not many.  Because my feeling is that the ones actually
doing the dirty work, who are out there in the trenches, aren't the ones who
would have the time to come on here and engage in the kinds of divisive and
insulting things I continue to see on these lists time and time again.

So please let's just be honest with everyone and just come out now and say
that you only want a united opposition if it's your guy that's the head of
it.  Or that you'd rather Jammeh be in power if it's not your guy who ends
up bieng the head of a heretofore nonexistent united opposition.  But don't
come on here and talk about you want a united opposition one minute and then
insult certain memebers of that opposition the next.
*sigh*

OK, rant over.

Ginny

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい