GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kabir Njaay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 20:40:23 +0200
*Youssou N'Dour Promotes Pan-African Vision*

http://allafrica.com/stories/200707030606.html

*allAfrica.com*

INTERVIEW

Posted to the web 3 July 2007

By Aliou Goloko

*Youssou N'Dour has been named by Time, the American news magazine, as one
of 100 men and women whose talent is transforming the world. As the
Senegalese superstar's fame and influence reaches new heights, he is also
articulating for the first time a Panafrican political leadership ambition.*

*Last week he was reported as announcing his availability as a candidate to
become the first prime minister of a United States of Africa. In this
exclusive interview with allAfrica.com, N'Dour paints his vision of a
unified and industrious Africa, an issue currently the subject of debate at
the African Union Summit in Accra.*

*Youssou, you have been in the public eye a lot lately, why is that?*

I believe it is because I have been actively involved in many spheres of
public life... I have just released a new album which is receiving a great
response from people and with that comes promotional work which results in
interaction with the media. Recently, singer Bono and I attended the G8
Summit to exert pressure on decision-makers in regard to aid and assistance
to Africa. I also have a concert tour for Alsaama Day (the title of his
latest album). I am also someone who is very interested in Africa and the
United States of Africa so on the eve of the African Union Summit, I put in
my two cents worth.

*Are you going to attend the summit?*

No, I will not attend, I was not invited. But the summit is there for us,
the people of Africa..

*And you have affirmed that you aspire to rule the future government of the
United States of Africa being debated at the summit?*

I hope so. I believe I made my ambitions clear... I believe in my
capabilities and I have a vision for Africa. I also believe that Africa
needs those of its children with vision and some experience to become
involved in the drive to create African unity. The (African) Union was
created by our heads of state and now unity is the people's duty. I believe
that around me, along with other young Africans... with the same ambitions
and in different realms, we can create an important foundation that is
removed from the politics of bureaucracy and achieve our dream.

*As of now, what is your plan of action?*

I am not actually talking about a plan of action. I understand that certain
things must be harmonized, the same as with music. First, you compose the
song. Today in Accra, what is going to happen is that heads of states will,
I hope, 'compose' the United States of Africa and at that time, (they) will
create the blueprints that will delineate the mechanisms necessary for its
functioning. It is then that a plan of action can be carried out.

Everyone knows that Africa's biggest problems are health and education...
Our agenda will be fashioned according to this fact. For the moment, I will
speak out on my candidacy and the benefit that I could bring to the United
States of Africa and its people.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい