GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
yeks drame <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 02:38:28 PST
Katim,

I think you did a good job, and whats more even, is the level of
understanding, patient an diplomacy you had demonstrated in this Mattar
issue. I further credit you for the well documented and material evidence
you have revealed to us about the activities of Mattar and his (then) opinon
of the GL.

However, I also find find it strange for you asking me to apologise to the
people. For what? What was wrong with trying to hamonise peace within the
people! I dont think thats offensive, just saying that Mattar needs us as we
needs him ? thats authentic Katim! its a fact, no man is an island! I
apologise then if that is the order of the day here! I did not know that its
offensive to speak your mind here. I know you are embarked on a though job,
managing a forum like this could be stressing and sometimes irritating, but
please do read all the postings that were sent in concerning this debate. I
promise you that, I had all the time extempt myself from any form of emotion
or offensive play. I have been very nutral on this topic! So, am suprised
and dissapointed that you are asking me to apologise to the people. Possibly
I dont get the point right on this list, what is the line for foul play
here?

Notably, the issue is to reconcile, which if it is material shall only
promote awareness and peace in our society, that is what is my stance, sir!
am not trying to disintergrate people instead I want to increase the level
of understanding and tolarance among our people, what is offensive about
that?

On this list we are continiousely reminded of the of backwardness of our
beloved land, Gambia-one of the most degraded, humiliated and rubbed
societies of the world for quite a long time. Your open letter to the
president is part of the most humble solutions for the mass participation of
the people in the development of the Gambia, like wise, the Robinson, and
Dr. Janneh proposals. All these ideas have only been calling for
togetherness and nothing otherwise. Well, in other to achieve that goal we
must differ in ideas and that is one of the ample reason why I appealed for
re suscription of Mattar.

After all said, it is important to realise that, the contribution of the
individual is what complys to collectivism and that is what makes great
ideas. We must always remember that "many hands make light work". Therefore,
collectivism will be minimal if we try to block others because of reasons
that are very human.We must increase our efforts significantly to understand
the nature of certain individuals at certain intervals that makes them
paranoid and act very irresponsible. This rerconciliation process should be
seen as a prequisite to development. It is only when we are organised among
ourselves and make formidable force that we can be able to discuss ideas and
come to solutions.

I hope the list managers would follow this debate attentively and see what
is authentic. I mean., you should read the other postings, and fairly judge
which ones are offensive, in langauage wise and formular! with this regard ,
I strongly condemn the idea that I should apologise to the people. I should
as well add that, I like wise condemn the structural adjustment policies
suggested by some list members as a way of reconciliation, because the place
the haviest burden on the process of reconciliation and instead triggered
anger and reluctancy to submission. I think we should ask those people to
apologise instead!

It would be impossible to achieve reconciliation without subscribing to the
reconcialiatory song of forgiveness. We must remember that liberation is not
begged for but struggled for! and this must include both parties to
liberated.

To this endavour, the managers of the list should listen to this call with
open mind and see the essence of unity. I am sure Mattar and all the others
who were engaged on such foul play will surely understand that we are all
"Pist Off" of this unfortunate situation.

With this regard, list managers, I hope we can closs this chapter in the
name of reconciliation and brotherlyhood and turn to a new one. Sometimes
one can be force to take dicisions unplesant on their side, but in principle
that is most fundamental. This dicision you are about to take is a challenge
to be considerate.

Peace.
Yahya